What's new

DNScrypt Using DNSrypt with Nordvpn on RT-ac68u or other DNS security tools

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Galaxysurfer

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am new to tinkering with DNS. What has started this quest is issues with my Linux os MX Linux. I am currently using an RT-AC68U configured with AMTM Diversion, Skynet, Yazfi & Entware along with a few of the logging scripts. I have been getting no internet available messages on Linux. I am sure there is something that needs tweaked from that end to address the symlink etc. This got me thinking about better ways to secure my dns data. I have blocked the google dns by routing it to gateway. This leaves only the gateway as nameserver in my resolv.config file. I have routed to Nordvpn servers which they suggest to mitigate DNS leaks. In light of the fact that Nordvpn was bought by Surfshark, I want to do things a bit different to protect my data & not rely on one or more tools alone. What are my best options here using my particular router model etc? How to I switch to other DNS servers & keep the dns from being leaked? What are the best dns server options - OpenDNS Cloudflare or Quad9 etc? I dont have resources to host own dns resolver or nameserver nor would I want to necessarily. Will DNSCrypt meet that challenge or do other tools need to be brought in as well? Thanx in advance for any feedback & suggestions.

PS What about Unbound in the mix? As someone else commented "Our routers can only do so much." I don't want to put it all on one device necessarily.

Last edited:
Hi Galaxy! I'm not on here much, but when I saw dnscrypt and needing help, I had to check it out. Long time user of it myself.

I'm running w/ exact same router and thought this might could be helpful to you. From the main page, right after you first login, Click on Tools, then Other Settings.

Tools->Other Settings

At the bottom, change

To YES.

Afterwards, I turn my VPN clients settings from

to

Followed by a reboot (sometimes I don't need to, but I would reboot anyways to make sure it sticks if your power goes out or you need to reboot it later)

I hope this helps. God bless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!