What's new

Using two routers with a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blackmagic

Occasional Visitor
Simple question. How would I connect two routers to a switch? I'm not sure if one switch connection goes to the WAN or LAN side of the router, or if I use the WAN of the router and turn off DHCP and just assign an IP address withen the same space as router one. Please see diagram.

The goal here is to use the second router to cover an area with more Wi-Fi instead of this crappy TP-Link repeater I have that's been problematic.

Edit-

Forgot to include the modem. That's connected to router 1.

1693067283276.jpeg

Your picture is correct but router 2 should be configured as an access point or mesh node if you are trying to extend the WIFI.

Some mesh systems connected this way should us an unmanaged switch or a managed switch correctly set up with VLAN.

I don't want to use Wi-Fi mesh or anything fancy like that. I just want to plug-in router 2 to the switch for Internet and use router 2's Wi-Fi. So with that, how would I go about wiring with Ethernet cable router 2 to the switch in the proper way without double NAT or whatever.

I don't want to use Wi-Fi mesh or anything fancy like that. I just want to plug-in router 2 to the switch for Internet and use router 2's Wi-Fi. So with that, how would I go about wiring with Ethernet cable router 2 to the switch in the proper way without double NAT or whatever.
As I said, configure it as an access point. Configure the WIFI with the same sattings as router 1. Most routers today have this feature.

Simple question. How would I connect two routers to a switch? I'm not sure if one switch connection goes to the WAN or LAN side of the router, or if I use the WAN of the router and turn off DHCP and just assign an IP address withen the same space as router one. Please see diagram.

The goal here is to use the second router to cover an area with more Wi-Fi instead of this crappy TP-Link repeater I have that's been problematic.

Edit-

Forgot to include the modem. That's connected to router 1.

View attachment 52660

One router WAN must be connected directly to the ISP router. Then LAN on that router goes to switch.

For second router, if you don't want double nat, as has been suggested, just put it in AP mode. In that mode you can use either WAN or LAN port to the switch, doesn't matter, though my personal preference is to use LAN if you don't need the port for something else.

If you want to be able to have an isolated guest network, then enable AIMESH, it isn't all that "fancy" or complicated to do. If you don't need that, then just AP mode is fine. I believe AIMesh wants you to use the WAN port on the node. Of course that is assuming both are Asus. If not then ignore this part, you can't have an isolated guest without special equipment/configs.

One router WAN must be connected directly to the ISP router. Then LAN on that router goes to switch.

Yes, this I already have.

For second router, if you don't want double nat, as has been suggested, just put it in AP mode. In that mode you can use either WAN or LAN port to the switch, doesn't matter, though my personal preference is to use LAN if you don't need the port for something else.

That makes sesne and I'll try this.

If you want to be able to have an isolated guest network, then enable AIMESH

I'll look into this. Never used it - or AP mode at that.

Yes, both routers are the same AC68u and flashed with Asus Merlin.

Yes, this I already have.

That makes sesne and I'll try this.

I'll look into this. Never used it - or AP mode at that.

Yes, both routers are the same AC68u and flashed with Asus Merlin.

Didn't realize that other thread was you too, so you have a guest network, if you want it to extend to your node (with intranet disabled) you need to use Aimesh (and can only use Guest Wireless 1). It can also be done using both Asus in router mode and double NAT (or you can eliminate NAT but it requires some static routing etc to be done) but you also have to do firewall rules etc. If you just need the one guest network (2.4 and 5ghz) then Aimesh makes it easy. The only catch is that some switches will block the VLAN communication needed between the two Asus devices, but most modern switches typically will pass them ok (it is hit or miss). Worst case you can get a smart switch for like $25 for an 8 port and add the VLANs to it. Nice thing about that setup is you can then have wired guest devices too.

Try setting it up and see. I believe for AImesh you must use the WAN port on the second AC68U to your switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!