What's new

Using wired and wireless simultaneously.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fr0sT

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I know that normally it's impossible to use a wireless and a wired connection simultaneously. Now the thing is I really would like to bypass this, and I was wondering if someone had solution for my following problem:

I want to use my internet connection via my ethernet at home, but at the same time I want to use the wifi of the neighbours to share some files...

Hoping for a quick and positive reply.

Greetings.

Seba

First ask your neighbor what their DHCP server pool range is. Then go to the wireless connections IPv4 settings and setup an static IP(outside the DHCP pool range, but same subnet) similar to how APIPA does in a peer to peer connection using only IP and subnet mask; omitting gateway and DNS. This should allow LAN side access to your neighbors without trying to use their internet resources. You could use Hamachi creating a VPN over the internet to share files.

Static IP.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I know that normally it's impossible to use a wireless and a wired connection simultaneously. Now the thing is I really would like to bypass this, and I was wondering if someone had solution for my following problem:

I want to use my internet connection via my ethernet at home, but at the same time I want to use the wifi of the neighbours to share some files...

Hoping for a quick and positive reply.

Greetings.

Seba
Not easy without Windows Server for multiple NICs.
Setting up static routes as above is do-able if you have or can get the requisite expertise.

ok, very well. I'll have to check that. Apparently it's not that easy, too bad. Thanks for everything.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!