What's new

utterly dissapointed with my purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dhuesca

New Around Here
There's 99% chance that I don't have a correct configuration applied so that's why I'm asking for help.

The facts:
  • ISP 100mb down/ 10mb up pppoe vlan 6 (you guessed it, Movistar Spain)

• Windows 7 laptop fresh install, AC7260 wlan card (with preferred 5ghz band in advanced settings) with latest drivers, 8gb ram, SSD, i7.

• Asus AC68U with latest Merlin installed and overclocked to 1200/800

• WD 2TB usb3.0 drive attached to router (obviously in 3.0 port)

• QoS enabled

• There are NO other 5ghz networks around, but plenty of 2.4ghz ones

Now, here are the problems:
  1. cant get more than 30mb down in ANY part of my house (not even 10ft away in direct line of sight, barely 35mb, tested with speedtest). I do get 105mb down with rj45. And to be fair, I have excellent latency on wifi.

2. all sharing options turned off except samba so I can mount my drive as a network drive, cant write or read at more than 2mb/s (some times I get 20, but thats on a rare occasion), always tested with the same 300mb file, ntfs filesystem

3. I have no idea how to configure the router so I can take advantage of my download speeds and use my hdd as a network drive in a way that i dont feel like Im working with floppy a drive (igmp snooping? rts? preamble?, wmm? what are those?? I know my way around computers PRETTY well, but im lost when it comes to networking)

Can any of you help? I feel dissapointed because I have better performance from my old cheapo 30$ tplink with ddwrt this 200$ router is replacing...

Last edited:
There's 99% chance that I don't have a correct configuration applied so that's why I'm asking for help.

The facts:
  • ISP 100mb down/ 10mb up pppoe vlan 6 (you guessed it, Movistar Spain)

• Windows 7 laptop fresh install, AC7260 wlan card (with preferred 5ghz band in advanced settings) with latest drivers, 8gb ram, SSD, i7.

• Asus AC68U with latest Merlin installed and overclocked to 1200/800

• WD 2TB usb3.0 drive attached to router (obviously in 3.0 port)

• QoS enabled

• There are NO other 5ghz networks around, but plenty of 2.4ghz ones

Now, here are the problems:
  1. cant get more than 30mb down in ANY part of my house (not even 10ft away in direct line of sight, barely 35mb, tested with speedtest). I do get 105mb down with rj45. And to be fair, I have excellent latency on wifi.

2. all sharing options turned off except samba so I can mount my drive as a network drive, cant write or read at more than 2mb/s (some times I get 20, but thats on a rare occasion), always tested with the same 300mb file, ntfs filesystem

3. I have no idea how to configure the router so I can take advantage of my download speeds and use my hdd as a network drive in a way that i dont feel like Im working with floppy a drive (igmp snooping? rts? preamble?, wmm? what are those?? I know my way around computers PRETTY well, but im lost when it comes to networking)

Can any of you help? I feel dissapointed because I have better performance from my old cheapo 30$ tplink with ddwrt this 200$ router is replacing...

First thing, have you tried without overclocking ?

Next thing try doing a factory wipe (you can always backup your current config before you do), try wireless performance without enabling QoS/Sharing or changing any other settings (just set ssid and encryption password as per the startup wizard).

response to "utterly disappointed"

Read my post in "Trouble with the RT-AC87R router and my solution"

I had to send the AC87R back and get a new router. also sent a ac68x back. just did not work no matter how much messing around.

If there is a Best Buy near you, go buy a new router and test drive it over the weekend. If it don't work, bring it back.

JDB

Read my post in "Trouble with the RT-AC87R router and my solution"

I had to send the AC87R back and get a new router. also sent a ac68x back. just did not work no matter how much messing around.

If there is a Best Buy near you, go buy a new router and test drive it over the weekend. If it don't work, bring it back.

JDB

I'm not sure there are any bestbuys in Spain......

Other than not being happy with the numbers you're seeing, are the services you're running over the wifi not working?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!