What's new

utube hivemind blocker list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeterLiljedahl

Occasional Visitor
Hello dear members and all who contribute to this forum in one way or the other.
For those that are more wellversed in the inner workings of maintaining and blocking various content.
Is it possible for each router to maintain/accumulate a blocklist and then share it with other routers that are online.
I am thinking a littlebit how for example the kademlia protocol works in emule, I know its old but..
It uses some kind of bootstrap to find a peer to connect to and retreive a list with a couple participants and
uses it to connect to them and thereby gaining more participants to share the list with.
This would be useful to plug the last holes so to speak.
Not shure however how many programwords and data it would require to run such a process.
Until utube merges the ads with the video in realtime for streaming I think this is A way to go.
Please fill in with ideas how we can advance in this battle.
Personally I have no problem with preroll-ads if they are always skippable after 5 seconds only and not forced.
Midrollers usually executes me one way or the other.
I usually let prerolls run for ASMR clips because they usually dont use midrolls because well thats a given.
cheers /Peter

Is it possible for each router to maintain/accumulate a blocklist and then share it with other routers that are online.
What block list should the router accumulate and what would be the criteria to gather list entries? How should a router know when to add something to a list?

I did not read/process the title of your post. Sorry.
The experimental YouTube Video ads blocker in Diversion does not work as well as I hoped it would. And there will be no way to block those Video ads on a router level solution - ever.
The next Diversion release will have the YT Video ads blocking option removed.

Thanks for your reply.
Why would you remove it when it works most of the time, at least for me, besides its just in its experimental stage.
Does it take up alot of space and resources?
Maybe it could be installed as a separate add-on.
When I installed the ytblocker the first time it instructed me to watch a couple ads to "learn" the mechanism i suppose.
I guess it saves these yt-ad adresses in a file which accumulates whenver an ad slips through.
These entries can be slowly sent to other routers which have this option enabled.
One way to detect if an ad was played could be to detect the length of the clip played.
If the clip played was under 25s it knows it was an add and can add it to the list.
I believe most clips on yt are longer then 25s and only ads are short separate video clips but maybe
your mechanism works this way already, havent checked really since the only programming I have done
in the past was asm for pics lol.
I dont know how complicated it is for routers to exchange this list but you could always start by having the routers
download a masterlist from somewhere, however that would introduce a weakness of course.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
Why would you remove it when it works most of the time, at least for me, besides its just in its experimental stage.
Does it take up alot of space and resources?
Maybe it could be installed as a separate add-on.
When I installed the ytblocker the first time it instructed me to watch a couple ads to "learn" the mechanism i suppose.
I guess it saves these yt-ad adresses in a file which accumulates whenver an ad slips through.
These entries can be slowly sent to other routers which have this option enabled.
One way to detect if an ad was played could be to detect the length of the clip played.
If the clip played was under 25s it knows it was an add and can add it to the list.
I believe most clips on yt are longer then 25s and only ads are short separate video clips but maybe
your mechanism works this way already, havent checked really since the only programming I have done
in the past was asm for pics lol.
I dont know how complicated it is for routers to exchange this list but you could always start by having the routers
download a masterlist from somewhere, however that would introduce a weakness of course.

Thanks
Reply applies also for your other thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/utube-ad-blocker-works-great.74663/#post-712619

I am confused, in the other thread you say:
Thanks for answering.
Yes I think most modern youtube TVs get upset when they cant display the static add shown at the top
when starting youtube in TVs.
If I have understood it correctly, you will remove diversions ability to block static ads when yt-blocker is enabled?
Understand that the Diversion experimental YouTube Video ads blocker in b, 8 blocks video ads while the regular Diversion blocking feature may block the static overlay ads (not the videos) depending on which blocking list is selected in b, 1.

The Video ads blocking is the feature that will be removed with the next Diversion release as it is not working as expected. The static ad blocking in YouTube videos remains as it is just part of the regular Diversion ads blocking.

Ok I disabled diversion and watched in edge and was hit with ads on almost all videos i clicked
but I didnt encounter any static overlay ads on them, are static ads in yt a thing.
The only static yt ad I see is on my sony tv which sits on top and doesnt bother anyone I would guess.
Is it possible to select how diversion will block ads at client level such that an IP bound to a TV for example
can have static ads enabled to fix many "internal browser errors" people experience due to TV not being able to reach its static ad server but yt inline video ad blocking enabled?
For my TV that gets that "internal browser error when diversion is enabled I tried the
"how to exclude a client from ad-blocking" but TV cant still reach its banner ad server I guess.

When you remove yt-block from diverion will you offer it in its current form as an ad-on so those
who wishes to continue to use it can do so?

Thanks for the great work