What's new

v386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill Hayes

New Around Here
v386.7_2 caused intermittent connection problems. I rolled back to v386.7 and no problems. ASUS RT-AC68W

Last edited:
Still having intermittent connection problems so not the firmware. I've talked to my ISP (Spectrum) and they say everything's fine on their end. When I ping google I get occasional "timed out" (like every 10 minutes or so that last about 1 minute). Any suggestions?

ping -t google.com

Maybe not related, but I saw the same issue on a laptop I had purchased new. It would lose the connection like that, via a similar ping test. New drivers, etc didn't fix it. I ended up replacing the laptop and that solved the issue...

I'd recommend trying a wired connection (for testing)... and maybe a different wireless adapter if possible (or different device if you don't have a wireless adapter to test with).

It's wired. Home built PC (3 y/o) ethernet connected. Haven't had any problems until the last couple of weeks.

Still, you need to try other devices to see if it's just this machine or it's something more widespread.

Try different computers, phones, etc to see if they see the same issue. And/or try wifi on the same computer. Bottom line, there is no widespread issue with this firmware for the issues you are describing, so it's likely a something else. You have to troubleshoot further.

It's wired. Home built PC (3 y/o) ethernet connected. Haven't had any problems until the last couple of weeks.
Try disabling IPV6 on the ethernet port of the PC and let it run for a day or two.

Try disabling IPV6 on the ethernet port of the PC and let it run for a day or two.

I should mention that not only my PC but all other wireless devices in the house experience this. I'm only using my PC and ping to try to figure it out. So, it has to be either the router, modem or Spectrum service.

Last edited:
I am also having intermittent connection drops. v386.7_2 and v386.7 on a AX11000. Happens hard wired and wireless.

Turns out it was my ISP. Came out 3 times. Told them it was something on their end but they insisted nothing on their end and replaced all fittings etc. After they left still had the problem. Called to have lead supervisor check but a couple of days later mysteriously resolved.

Most people having this went back to 386.5_2

Most people having this went back to 386.5_2

I also find 386.5_2 better, bit there is an annoying new firmware notification coming even when new firmware check is disabled. I know from experiments Asus App may cause this, but even with no Asus App it still flashed the yellow exclamation mark few days after the downgrade. Not a big deal and I don't really use my Asus routers for Internet access, but is this something you see as well @laracroftonline after the downgrade to 386.5_2 firmware?

I also find 386.5_2 better, bit there is an annoying new firmware notification coming even when new firmware check is disabled. I know from experiments Asus App may cause this, but even with no Asus App it still flashed the yellow exclamation mark few days after the downgrade. Not a big deal and I don't really use my Asus routers for Internet access, but is this something you see as well @laracroftonline after the downgrade to 386.5_2 firmware?
yeah but i hardly care for that yellow thing, it really doesn't bother me.

Ok, i did not dream about this then... got 2 RT-AX86U (1 router mode, 1 bridge mode) with 386.7_2 and one of them (bridge mode) is dropping wifi clients... but only specific ones. Never happened before when i was on 386.5_2 or earlier. To a point where i reset to factory (nuclear reset) and re-configure, and i see exact same result. Left everything as is for now... as it's only some clients that gets the drops... and since i got connmon installed, i know that the ISP is not dropping, 100% up... pretty flawless ISP over here... so there must have something in 386.7_2 that causes those disconnections.

Same observed here on a stand alone test router.

Today, i reverted back to 386.5_2, and not a single wifi connection drop on the Android phones... might test 386.7 to see if it works with the .7 and only the .7_2 suffers the wifi drops...

Saw a good amount of posts about connection drops with 386.7_2 is there anything official about it? Seeing people are going back to .5_2 or .7 because of those connection drops... someone might have started to look at this? Is there an official thread we can help on debugging this?

might test 386.7 to see if it works

No, don't waste your time. With stock Asuswrt 49447 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 I was thinking my router is defective. Weak Wi-Fi and connection issues. Asus fixed it quickly with Asuswrt 49599, but Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 still has connection issues. Asuswrt 49599 is perhaps the best firmware for AX86U.

Thank you. It’s a 386.5_2 bug though - checking for update when checking is disabled.
It is not only a 386.5_2 bug - it´s in every software
I told this fact a long time ago.... also that this yellow blinking sign is triggered by the app.....
But RMerlin wants to have it this way...
.....SIGH....

Last edited:
My AC86U gets in a boot loop and becomes unresponsive every night with either 386.7 or .7_2. Tried resetting to factory settings, no help. Back to 386.5_2 again which works fine.

It is not only a 386.5_2 bug - it´s in every software
I told this fact a long time ago.... also that this yellow blinking sign is triggered by the app.....
But RMerlin wants to have it this way...
.....SIGH....
I have no control over what Asus' proprietary app does...

I have experienced the same issue - Updated to 386.7_2, devices started experiencing sudden downtime/disconnects etc. I started logging the RAM usage of my RT-AC66U B1, and noticed it is slowly creeping up to 86.5% at which point I power cycled the router.
Today I downgraded both my nodes to 386.5_2, as that has run without issues for a few months.
I'm a bit torn between having a reliable connection and doing more research/debugging into this issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!