What's new

value for money ac router for usb drive performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pmthokku

New Around Here
I plan to connect a portable hard disk to the router to use for media streaming and file sharing as well as backup. Looking for a value for money (ac1200?) router with USB 3.0 which will have fast read and write speeds to the disk. A part of the disk will be used for time machine (or rsync) backup. I currently have a macbook air 2013, iPad retina mini and an android phone. I am considering net gear R6200, asus ac56u, link sys ea6300.
What are the other models I should look at? How do these compare in terms of:
1)USB drive performance
2)Ability to support custom firmware (or have good inbuilt firmware) which will provide support for vpn and other services which are things I am not using right now but might need in the future
Note: I do not want to be tied into the apple ecosystem if possible, because I feel it is restrictive. For example time capsule seems to provide very few features.

Personally with what you are asking, I'd get a seperate single disk NAS to add a drive to your network and look at the router for Wifi performance/router performance.

Routers do not have particularly good disk performance and USB3 as a general rule causes all kinds of 2.4GHz wifi interferance (so it is a BAD idea to have one on a router, which many manufacturers are doing these days. Even a shielded port is a bad idea on one).

In addition to azazel's good advice, best USB storage performance is found only in the top-priced AC1900 routers, NETGEAR's R7000 specifically.

In addition to azadel's good advice, best USB storage performance is found only in the top-priced AC1900 routers, NETGEAR's R7000 specifically.

If it doesn't corrupt your disk or delete half of your files.