What's new

Very confused and concerned about a note in the AC88u Users Guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SparksPA

New Around Here
I just purchased an AC88U but I have not opened the box yet. I hope to install it this weekend. I have read through the Users Guide and it looks like I will be able to handle things well enough. However, I discovered the note below that I can't quite understand.

There is a Note near the bottom of page #56 of the AC88U users guide that states"
NOTE: Your router supports the maximum transmission rate of 54Mbps when the Wireless Mode is set to Auto." What the heck is that all about? Can that possibly be true? If not set to Auto, what should it be set for in order to achieve the best performance across many different devices (Windows 10, iOS portable devices, iMac, thermostat, etc. Fortunately, no games though.)? I tried to search for an answer but came up empty.

As a newbie to this site, I have been doing a lot of reading. I hope to be able to contribute to the site after I have gained some more experience.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Crude attempt at a screen-shot from the guide:

Select any of these wireless mode options to determine the types of wireless devices that can connect to your wireless router:

Auto: Select Auto to allow 802.11ac, 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b devices to connect to the wireless router.

N only: Select N only to maximize wireless N performance. This setting prevents 802.11g and 802.11b devices from connecting to the wireless router.

Legacy: Select Legacy to allow 802.11b/g/n devices to connect to the wireless router. Hardware that supports 802.11n natively, however, will only run at a maximum speed of 54Mbps.

Select the operating/control channel for your wireless router. Select Auto to allow the wireless router to automatically select the channel that has the least amount of interference.

Select the channel bandwidth to accommodate higher transmission speeds.

Select the authentication method...

NOTE: Your wireless router supports the maximum transmission rate of
54Mbps when the Wireless Mode is set to Auto.

page56image18520
page56image18604

page56image18520
page56image18604

Last edited:
Auto: Select Auto to allow 802.11ac, 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b devices to connect to the wireless router.

Normally I would leave it to Auto - and with WPA2-only, this generally will keep the 11b clients (if present) from attaching, as they typically only support WEP and WPA (TKIP)

I do use WPA2. My confusion is with the note that states the maximum transmission rate will be limited to 54Mbps when set to Auto. How can 802.11n and ac be supported with a limit of 54Mbps? What am I missing?

Like the RT-AC66U manual was still referring a cooling fan that was removed back during the RT-N66U beta days. The copy/paste error got carried over to the final N66U manual, as well as to the AC66U manual.

Like the RT-AC66U manual was still referring a cooling fan that was removed back during the RT-N66U beta days. The copy/paste error got carried over to the final N66U manual, as well as to the AC66U manual.

Technical writing for documents is not easy work - so errors are bound to creep in - esp. if the document writer isn't kept up to date with development.

Well OK then. That makes sense. Auto it is.

Thank you all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!