What's new

Very noob question!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

Hey guys I was wondering if this was the correct way of port forwarding?

Before I use to setup individual port entry's, for each port.

So I am wondering if this is the correct way of setting this up?

Also BF4 for ps4 has alot of ports to open so I had to do 2 Bf4 tcp entry's because they would not all fit in the tab.

Thanks in advance guys.
Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg

I see, well just wanted to know if this is also the correct way of doing Taylor. Just in case I might need to do it in the future?

Thanks in advance.

I see, well just wanted to know if this is also the correct way of doing Taylor. Just in case I might need to do it in the future?
No you have not done it correctly. Firstly you have multiple instances where you have forwarded the same external port to multiple internal clients. This is a contradiction. Secondly you are forwarding some ports the you shouldn't be, e.g. 80 and 443 are ports on a remote server not your router.

I see, thank you for correcting me on this matter.

So should I do each port individualy to the ip address I need it on?

I am just following all the ports that Ea/origin say to forward?

So should I do each port individualy to the ip address I need it on?
The whole point of using UPnP is that the game/application can add and remove its forwarding rules on-demand. This means that you don't have to log into the router and add and remove rules every time you want to play a different game.

I am just following all the ports that Ea/origin say to forward?
You need to determine which ports need to be "open" versus those that need to be "forwarded". Quite often this is not clearly stated by the publisher, or the user doesn't understand the difference.

Ok Taylor,

Will just use upnp like you said.

Thanks for all the info man.

Will just use upnp like you said.

Yes, a lot of discussions about this don't distinguish between "open" and "forwarded".

Generally very few ports need to be open for incoming connections (actually open, with a mapping for incoming connections) and ports that are supposed to be forwarded just work because they are actually only needed for outgoing connections.

Usually the games know best what ports they need open so UPnP works ok.

The next thing that comes up is using more than one console on the same network which is frequently problematic as most routers don't provide what people call FullCone NAT and that being the case UPnP usually doesn't work and neither does manual forwarding.

I'm only aware of two ASUS routers that support FullCone NAT and that's the AC86U and AX88U and only when using the Merlin firmware, most provide Symetric NAT only.

Ian

So I am wondering if this is the correct way of setting this up?

Correct from the POV that they have been accepted, yes, but whether this actually works is another question.

It's not hard to understand why this can be a problem.

Since these rules are meant to provide a way for an incoming connection to reach a device on your network, if you add more than one rule for a specific port with a different internal destination address the router cannot know which device on the internal network the packet is meant to be sent to because there's not yet any connection state from an outgoing connection that can be used for this.

If the game supports UPnP and it is being used then it will be able to use different external ports for those mappings so the incoming connections are well defined. But still symmetric NAT can get confused and FullCone NAT is usually needed unless the "actual incoming port mappings needed" are well defined for each internal device.

Thank you for your input raven,

I will be using the plug&play method, leave it I guess on symmetric Nat. I really do not mess around with all those settings, I use this router for a basic set up. I am not like you pro's on here at use alot of the features this router has. I like because of the range on the wifi, never have issues with the wifi.

Thanks again man.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!