What's new

VLAN with access to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjbender

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a pretty simple setup for home use.
4 laptop computers, all gigabit
1 HP mediasmart EX485 server
1 printer
this is what I want on one VLAN
The other VLAN i would like to have :
1 skype phone
1 Satellite rcvr
1 blueray player
These need access to the internet but these devices do not need to interact with the other part of my network.

I have a Linksys WRT600N from that I connect to a Linksys SLM2005. Ports 123 have the skype phone, sat rcvr, and BD player. Port 4 connects to a Linksys SD2008 with the rest of the equipment, computers, server and printer.
I tried to setup the SLM2005 VLANs and include port 5, which is the router, on both VLANS. Here is my question. How do I set up the VLANs so both have access to the internet?

The only VLAN that gets internet is when I assign the PVID to port 5 which is the router. Assign port 5 to PVID 1 and it is the only LAN that has internet. Change port 5 to PVID 2 and VLAN 1 no longer has access and VLAN 2 now has access. I have included port 5 on both VLANs

Thanks

Steve

Slm2005

Yes I looked through that article. I used it to set up another network using a Linksys SRW2016 and woked out. I am now trying to use the Linksys SLM2005 which is only a smart switch. It has a somewhat different set up than the SRW series switches. I believe I set up everything correctly yet both VLANs won't connect to the internet.

Thanks

Steve

I believe I set up everything correctly yet both VLANs won't connect to the internet.
Then either you have a bum switch (unlikely) or a misconfiguration in your VLANs (more likely).

My guess is that I have something misconfigured. The switch seems to be pretty easy to setup with not too many options.

Depends on how you have the VLANs tagged. When you assign a port to a vlan, are you leaving it untagged? When you assign multiple vlans to a port, is one untagged and the rest are tagged....or are they all tagged (trunk port)?

VLANs work fine on Layer 2 switches, but.....you need a layer 3 device to route them around where they can talk to other vlans.

Even your most basic layer 2 switch supports vlans. If you go to a big box store and buy a little 8-port switch that is VERY basic....all ports are on VLAN 1, which is why your devices communicate with each other.

"When you assign a port to a vlan, are you leaving it untagged?" Yes. All ports on all vlans are untagged. I only have 2 vlans. Both vlans have all ports labeled as untagged.

"When you assign multiple vlans to a port, is one untagged and the rest are tagged....or are they all tagged (trunk port)?" No. All are untagged.

vlan1 is on the 10.13.31.0/24. Can vlan2 also have the same ip scheme or must it be different?

Even your most basic layer 2 switch supports vlans. If you go to a big box store and buy a little 8-port switch that is VERY basic....all ports are on VLAN 1, which is why your devices communicate with each other.

Ummm... no. All the ports on unmanaged switches are basically trunk ports (untagged, no VLAN), and most (but not all) will pass all VLAN tags unaltered on all ports.

Only in the world of managed switches does "VLAN 1" even mean anything. It's only equivalent in that VLAN 1 is the "default VLAN" and the default configuration for some use cases is to treat traffic tagged VLAN 1 the same as untagged traffic. But that doesn't mean untagged traffic is VLAN 1 and it certainly doesn't mean that unmanaged switches are VLAN 1 access ports - they're basically trunk ports (though some can't handle VLAN tagged traffic properly/at all).