What's new

VLANs through Multiple Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasonreg

Regular Contributor
Hi, hopefully quick question - apologies if it a repeat. I have successfully set-up my 6100 and have added my desired VLANs to the LAN connection (in my example igc0).

I would like to set up the 10GB ports to feed my switches on ix0 (Needs all VLANs) and ix1 (only needs a single VLAN) respectively. My question is, do I need to add the VLAN interfaces to those ports as well assuming I am using them as trunk ports or does it all feed through the LAN interface?

Thx

I'm using one 10GbE LAN link to a switch, but I believe you have to assign the VLANs to the interfaces (parent). They are all individually configurable.

@Tech9 - so the basic configuration went very well, but every time I try to link via the SFP port to my SG350X or SG250X from ix0 I just cannot get any traffic. I am using a SFP DAC Cable, and it seems to see the connection but on the Dashboard interfaces table I see speed Unk and tx/rx suspended (or something like that).

What I am trying to do is:
  1. Set up the LAN on ix0 (I can set it all up on igc3 no issues)
  2. Add required VLANS to ix0
  3. Connect via SFP DAC to SG350X Switch into the SFP XG Port
  4. Connect the Two Switches via another SFP DAC cable
  5. Connect my PC via 10GB XG copper port Card in PC supports 1,2.5,5 and 10 so 'should' get max ISP speeds
But it just won't work. I just can't figure out where this is breaking down. Right now I am just connected via the 1GB LAN ports including one of the switches to get the TV going.

OK - so as an update: So I have my new pfsense installation up and running and working generally the way I need/want it to.

I have a Netgate 6100 box. I had used the default LAN on igc0 (a 2.5GB Port) for the installation. I have configured several VLANs (4 in total) and they are all working the way I want them to including the firewall rules to allow some inter VLAN comms and sometimes none. Switches and Wireless Access points all configured and working to assign devices to their respective VLAN. All good so far.

My question. I would like to transfer the LAN to ix0 (a 10GB SFP Port). I know that I can just re-assign the interface of LAN to ix) - but will that automatically drag the VLANs established on igc0 with it or will I need to recreate the entire network?

Thanks in advance.

My IT guys simplified the Firewall and complicated the Switch achieving my requirements with even higher throughput possible and easier firewall replacement or upgrade. The network is driven by core switch and the firewall has only 2x Gigabit WAN connected and 1x 2.5GbE LAN.

I see no potential issues in changing the LAN interface - worst case you may need to re-assign the VLANs to the new interface. I would proceed in a safe way by enabling the new interface first, transferring what's needed there and then removing or re-assigning the old interface to something else.

Thanks - in the end I answered my own question. It does not drag them along but you can easily change the assignments under interface assignments VLANS tab just like you change the main interface. Easy peasy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!