What's new

Vpn advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokie

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,
So I just got hit with a letter from my broadband provider about music downloading so I'm looking to use a vpn.

I have the asus AC5300 and wanted to run it on the router itself.
Can anyone recommend a good vpn? I have a 350M line and a lot of devices in the house with kids and all so I don't want to loose a lot of speed.

Any recommendations appreciated.

A VPN may not protect you from the copyright enforcers. Instead of sending the nasty grams to your ISP they will send them to your VPN provider. Carefully read the VPN providers TOS regarding copyright infringement, and other illegal activity. They don't want to get stuck holding the bag so they will quickly cancel your account.

VPNs claiming they keep no logs for the most part that means they don't track what sites you visit but they do know who was connected to their service using which servers on a particular date so if pressed they do know who did the dirty deed.

With a router that supports AES-NI and a nearby server your VPN will top out at between 225-275 Mbps down. Of course you might find a provider in some third world country with no presence in a country that gives a rats butt about copyrights or other activity but then your connection will probably b slower.

I have the asus AC5300 and wanted to run it on the router itself.

You can get 50-70Mbps speed through OpenVPN with this router. For more you'll have to change it to RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U (both supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware). Those are the ones with AES-NI hardware support, capable of >200Mbps VPN speeds, of the VPN server you connect to allows such speeds. NordVPN has fast VPN servers in North America, some reach 350Mbps on a x86 hardware, but I don't know what the situation is in your country. You'll need Asuswrt-Merlin's firmware features in order to select what device goes through VPN, what through WAN and activate a Kill Switch in case VPN tunnel goes down. ASUS stock firmware allows only VPN on/off network wide with no Kill Switch option.

Im currently running Merlin latest firmware and i'm starting to get worried about the whole IPTV issues.
I could configure the vpn just to run against the two TV's using IPTV but will this still allow the full 350m to all other devices?

There is a lot of devices running at once in my house, Kids could be on there PC's playing fortnite, Tv's all on with netflix or IPTV plus phones and xbox's.

"You can get 50-70Mbps speed through OpenVPN with this router" that's a big loss of bandwith is that all I can expect? Like I said if I had only one or two devices going through the vpn will everything else be able to utilize the full bandwith.

Or is the router just not capable to do everything at the same time? I feel like the router aint that old and it cost me a small fortune.

Cheers for the info guys
much appreciated.

Im currently running Merlin latest firmware and i'm starting to get worried about the whole IPTV issues.
I could configure the vpn just to run against the two TV's using IPTV but will this still allow the full 350m to all other devices?

There is a lot of devices running at once in my house, Kids could be on there PC's playing fortnite, Tv's all on with netflix or IPTV plus phones and xbox's.

"You can get 50-70Mbps speed through OpenVPN with this router" that's a big loss of bandwith is that all I can expect? Like I said if I had only one or two devices going through the vpn will everything else be able to utilize the full bandwith.

Or is the router just not capable to do everything at the same time? I feel like the router aint that old and it cost me a small fortune.

Cheers for the info guys
much appreciated.
Simply the wrong router for your VPN needs, 86U would be much better.
If you need VPN only on 2 devices why would one install it on the router and not on much faster clients?

Because you pay the price!
Why should they lower if they find you paying only for higher numbers?

You have double LAN ports, one more antenna, larger housing, that might be your reason for the double price.
Or only because you like the desing and pay for that, who knows.

Last edited:

This is what your router's CPU is capable of processing through VPN. The router was fast for 2015, today much faster routers are available. Only devices using VPN will be affected, the rest will use the full ISP speed through WAN. Keep in mind not every VPN server in every country can provide fast speeds. The further the VPN server is, the higher ping times and lower speeds are expected. You may not be able to get even 20Mbps, if trying to connect from Europe to a VPN in Australia, for example. The limitation is not your hardware only.

The devices in question are tv's.

Then don't change anything, no need to. The VPN speed your router is capable of is good enough for 2 TVs, if the VPN server you connect to is fast enough. If you manage to get 50-70Mbps speeds, then you may see some issues only if both TVs are trying to stream 4K content in the same time. For normal HD content you'll be fine with what you already have. You'll need to use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware in order to separate devices going through VPN and through WAN. But you probably already know that.

If I was looking at picking up a new router what would you recommend? I was looking at
RT-AX88U But it looks like its only dual band when my current one is Triband.

I need speed and range as I have a big house and a couple of children, A lot of devices online at once.

I need speed and range as I have a big house and a couple of children, A lot of devices online at once.

How big is “big” and how many is “a lot”? If your current router covers the place, RT-AX88U will cover it too, offering better throughput on the same distances with the same devices. For like 30 clients you don’t really need a tri-band router. I don’t think you need a new router at all at the moment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!