What's new

VPN - Can I enable my gaming computer to bypass VPN for gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarnellG

Regular Contributor
I've setup a VPN client and successfully selected my computer on the lan to be routed through this vpn which is great but is there a way to bypass the VPN and go directly through WAN when I play COD Warzone? I do not want the added latency of going through the VPN when gaming. I've been disabling the VPN director rule when playing but was looking to see if there is a rule to make this work automatically.

I'm using 386.4 on a RT-AX88U

Last edited:
I've setup a VPN client and successfully selected my computer on the lan to be routed through this vpn which is great but is there a way to bypass the VPN and go directly through WAN when I play COD Warzone? I do not want the added latency of going through the VPN when gaming. I've been disabling the VPN director rule when playing but was looking to see if there is a rule to make this work automatically.
Need to what router you are using as well as what firmware before anyone can give you a complete answer.

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is how much effort you want to put into setting it up :)

Disable the VPN when playing the game if your PC is the only client?
Remove the PC from the routed systems, or setup a bypass depending on your configuration, when playing games?
There are a number of threads on how to bypass or enable for specific ports if you know the range used.
You can also create enable and disable scripts that you run.
I'm sure there are many other ways.

@DarnellG ... It is a PITA. How about make it easy on yourself, and just set up a different IP for your PC that routes directly over the WAN vs. the VPN. Configure your VPN to keep your current IP to route over the VPN, and create another that gets excluded from it. You could probably create a few batch files on your PC's desktop, one labeled VPN.bat and the other COD.bat... and just run whichever one you want. In each batch file, just have a statement like this that reflects which IP it needs to change to:

Code:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

That's static IP address, subnet, gateway, and metric (usually 1)... incase you needed it. Also, this is assuming your default LAN connection is called "Local Area Connection". ;)

Last edited:
Agree with @Viktor Jaep to just change your IP. I went one step further and wrote this batch script

Substitute your static IP/Gateway/DNS and run as admin

Edit: make sure you add a rule in the VPN director for your static IP to route via your WAN connection

Code:
@ECHO OFF

net session > nul 2>&1
IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 (
ECHO Program needs to be run as Administrator
pause > nul
exit )

ipconfig | find "192.168.1.5" > nul

IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 GOTO STATIC
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 GOTO DYNAMIC

:STATIC
netsh interface ipv4 set dns "Ethernet" static 192.168.1.1
netsh interface ipv4 set address "Ethernet" static 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
ECHO STATIC IP set, VPN will be bypassed
pause
exit

:DYNAMIC
netsh interface ipv4 set address "Ethernet" source=dhcp
netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers "Ethernet" dhcp
ECHO DYNAMIC IP set, traffic will be routed via VPN
pause
exit

Thanks everyone , I thought maybe there was a simplier automatic solution but I guess not. I'll stick with disabling the VPN director policy rule before playing through the web interface

Thanks everyone , I thought maybe there was a simplier automatic solution but I guess not. I'll stick with disabling the VPN director policy rule before playing through the web interface
LOL. Dude @DarnellG, what can be simpler than clicking on an icon on your desktop. But alas... your choice! :)