What's new

VPN "Client" Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

What are the "expected" speeds when connected to a VPN Client on a GT-AC2900?

For example, I am connected to a NordVPN UK Server, from the UK myself, and I am seeing speeds over wifi of 400-500Mbps up and down (I am on a 1GB symmetrical line).

I thought the theoretical max speeds would be around 200-250Mbps - so why am I seeing almost double this (not that I am complaining!!).

I have done an IPv4 check and can confirm that I am connected to the VPN as the "WAN" IPv4 address has changed to that of the VPN's, rather than that of my ISP, but my IPv6 address remains as the ISP issued one.

Is it because the traffic (and therefore the "high speeds") are going over IPv6 still, rather than using the IPv4 of the VPN Client?

Cheers!

Yes, most likely IPv6 leak. NordVPN app blocks IPv6 on the device, but your VPN client on the router doesn't.

Got it - understood.

Is there anything that can be added to the config to block IPv6 from "leaking"?

I would just disable IPv6 on the router. If you have working IPv4 with public WAN IP, you don't need IPv6. Some may disagree, but it solves multiple IPv6 related issues permanently. You have no speed or latency benefits with IPv6 enabled.

I can confirm this. I also get around 240 Mbps with NordVPN on my AC86U (basically same hardware as GT -AC2900).

240 Mbps (max) on Asus ax5400 TUF with the Wireguard. And this router doesn't have AES acceleration. ISP speed is 300/300.

Configured and tried AC68U (HW Ver. E1, 1GHz CPU) OVPN client speed with the same UDP server as on AC86U... Can not believe it, AC86 was 7 TIMES faster!

260DL / 250UL on my new GT-AX6000