What's new

VPN connection over ipv6 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pc14

New Around Here
Hi,

I am connecting to my asus RT AX86S over ipv6 via an openvpn connection from my ax55. I get the routers to connect but no internet connectivity on the client side after the vpn connection is established.

Every now and then it gives below IP conflict error; though after disconnect / connect that error disappears and I get a blue checkmark.
I changed the LAN ipv4 addres ranges of both routers to not match (one is 192.168.50.* and the other one 192.168.75.*)

1674922672692.png

Setup:

RT-AX55 in the Netherlands as openvpn client behind cable ISP modem in bridge mode. RT-AX55 has public wan ipv6 address
RT-AX86s in Switzerland as openvpn server behind optic fibre ISP modem . ipv4 is cgnat (no own public address); own ipv6 public address. Modem has firewall turned off.

RT-AX86s server set up:

IP6.png

1674895775268.png

1674895811151.png

RT-AX55 client set up

1674922562417.png

The open vpn config file was generated by the RT AX86s ; I amended the IPV4 adress to the IPV6 address and changed proto to UPD6

# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp6
remote [2a04:*************:c9ff:feea:b5e8] 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server

Last edited:
OpenVPN client does not support IPv6 in Asuswrt-Merlin.

Thank you for your fast reply. What clients would then be able to connect to it ? (Or would any alternate set up work with these two routers, knowing the server side only has a public ipv6).

Thank you for your fast reply. What clients would then be able to connect to it ?
You'd have to setup the client on a PC/VM within your network.