What's new

VPN - Error 800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I have my DDNS up and running and am trying to configure VPN access from my work.

Here is what I have done on the VPN Server Tab
- Enabled PPTP Server = YES
- Network Place (samba) support = YES (this was automatic or default)
- created a user name and password

Here is what I have done on the VPN Details Tab
- broadcast support = VPN client to LAN (this was automatic or default)
- authentication = auto
- MPPE Encryption = no Encryption
- Connect to DNS server automatically = YES
- Connect to WINS server automatically = YES
- Client IP address = static range not being used.

I am using a windows 7 pro machine at work. I am setting up an connection, and it seems to accept the user name and password then gives me an Error 800? Any ideas?

Further - should I be using the encryption? I thought this was secure to begin with? Sorry for the newbie questions

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

You want MPPE encryption enabled, otherwise as it says there won't be any encryption.

Also note that testing a VPN from inside the LAN is never guaranteed to work properly. You have to be outside of your LAN to really test it.

Thank you for your prompt reply -

I am work currently trying to set the VPN up on my work Win 7 Pro laptop. My router is at home with the VPN enabled as indicated.

I will set the encryption to MPPE-128. Seems strange - like I can have more than one box selected under the encryption area....

Thanks - I will try to setup a new connection again.

Same problem - connection failed with error 800....

this is the text of the error - does not seem to indicate my problem

"The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly."

Thank you for your prompt reply -

I am work currently trying to set the VPN up on my work Win 7 Pro laptop. My router is at home with the VPN enabled as indicated.

I will set the encryption to MPPE-128. Seems strange - like I can have more than one box selected under the encryption area....

Thanks - I will try to setup a new connection again.

The server is able to offer different encryption types. The client then will chose the one it prefers out of the list.

Unfortunately, error 800 is pretty generic and gives little information. One test you could make to ensure your router's VPN is indeed reachable is to try to connect to port 1723 using telnet or Putty. If you cannot connect to port 1723, then either your dynamic DNS is incorrect, or you have a modem that also acts as a router, firewalling your actual router, and thus preventing access to its VPN server.

If you can connect to port 1723 however, then it means it must be something in your config. Could also be your work that's preventing PPTP VPN tunnels from working (depending on their network setup).

Also, make sure your VPN client is set to PPTP or Auto (preferably PPTP - will be faster).

Thanks again RMerlin for your response-

I will tell the putty when I get home. On the DDNS - I have also tried the actual IP address and could still not connect.

I am using a DSL modem that is not a router (at least I think it is not) - but can get into the router just fine from work, DDNS or otherwise.

so if "you have a modem that also acts as a router, firewalling your actual router, and thus preventing access to its VPN server." would the remote administration work?

Thanks for the tips - I was really hoping this would work...

Are there any stand alone VPN clients to use instead of the windows client?

Tom

Thanks again RMerlin for your response-

I will tell the putty when I get home. On the DDNS - I have also tried the actual IP address and could still not connect.

I am using a DSL modem that is not a router (at least I think it is not) - but can get into the router just fine from work, DDNS or otherwise.

so if "you have a modem that also acts as a router, firewalling your actual router, and thus preventing access to its VPN server." would the remote administration work?

Thanks for the tips - I was really hoping this would work...

Are there any stand alone VPN clients to use instead of the windows client?

Tom

If remote management works and you didn't specifically configure a port forward inside your modem, then the modem is indeed properly working as a bridge.

The telnet/putty test would have to be run from work - the goal is to see if you can reach port 1723 from outside of your network.

There is no other PPTP clients, since PPTP is a pretty basic VPN technology. If you want an alternative, I strongly recommend looking at OpenVPN (provided you run a custom firmware that provides it). PPTP is not very secure anymore. OpenVPN might be more complicated to initially setup, but by following a good guide, you can be up and running in an hour (including actual time to troubleshoot/test things out).

An added benefit of OpenVPN is it works better when connecting from a corporate network. PPTP relies on a special protocol (GRE) that isn't always allowed through corporate firewall, while OpenVPN is straight tcp (or udp) data sent through a regular port.

VPN Error 800 says "Unable to establish the VPN connection" . It may occur due to various reasons like if your firmware is outdated or your firewall is blocking the connection or may be some configuration problem with your PC. Click Here for working solution that is working for windows 7 ,windows 8 and windows 8.1.