What's new

VPN newbie - is there a resource to help with setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quantum28

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to setup a VPN so I can access my home network externally. I have registered a DDNS account, and configured my router with the ddns account, my ISP modem has been configured to bridged mode. And thats as far as I got.

I have a RT-N66U router, and behind it, a QNAP NAS.
Qnap offers a cloud service with the nas, but I'm guessing its a better (ie. safer, secure, higher performance) to VPN to the router to access the LAN behind it, than to connect to the nas directly, yes?

If that is correct, what are the next steps for me to be able to connect to my router? I would be using ios and android to connect remotely, (and occasionally by PC).

I'm guessing this has been done before so if there is a thread already about this please let me know (keyword search does not seem to work with "vpn")

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any thoughts about accessing the nas directly vs via the router?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk