What's new

VPN Nube - Speed Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billyk

Occasional Visitor
I've shopped around for VPN's and selected SurfShark on performance, privacy and price. I contacted their tech support when I was shopping to find out what kind of performance hit I'll see with a VPN. I was told by SurfShark to expect a 30% decrease in download speed, worst case. I have a 600mbs down service and 30% less wouldn't be too bad. Sounded doable for me. I signed up this morning and installed the app on my Win10 machine. I was thinking that if the speed was good, maybe I'd set up a VPN at my AC86U.

On my own, and with extensive help from SurfShark tech support, I couldn't seem to get past 100mbs down on a consistent basis. Interestingly, my initial tests were when I had my laptop near my router, which is not it's usual location. In this location I get the full 600+mbs down consistently w/o the VPN, and 100mbs down with the VPN.

When I move my laptop back to my office where it is typically used, my non-VPN speed it typically 200mbs down, but the VPN speed is still 100mbs!

Does this indicate that from my home location from the SurfShark server, SurfShark does not provide a 30% reduction in access speed, but rather, SurfShark imposes a ceiling of 100mbs??

Do any of you folks know if this can be increased somehow? I tried other protocols (IKEv2 is the fastest) and I am using the fastest, closest SurfShark server. I know that I can try another VPN provider, but the research I just did since I saw this VPN behavior indicates that 100mbs down is actually really good, especially when you live 100+ miles from the closest server. I am finding this a little confusing!

Using a VPN from other providers you should be able to get speeds higher than 100 Mbps. I have a 200/10 connection and I get near line speeds while running a VPN on my AC86 though the speeds fluctuate during the day.

If you run the VPN application on your PC and the provider supports WireGuard I have seen reports that it is possible to get speeds as high as 800 Mbps or even more.

Thanks Captain.

I spoke with NordVPN today, and they shy away from talking about performance - even sharing what their customer's experiences have been.

SurfShark offers WireGuard, but for me and my connection, IKEv2 is faster.