What's new

VPN on Firestick - How is the IP address Shielded

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rubemon

New Around Here
Hi. I'm looking into getting a VPN service on a firestick. I've done some research but it's not clear how it shields my IP address on the actual firestick.

For example, if I install the VPN service is on my firestick, how does the VPN service, shield the Firestick's local "IP address", (192.168.x.x) when my main IP address, on my Spectrum internet modem, is not being shielded?

Any insight would be helpful.

It is doubtful that there is any VPN that will run on a Firestick. VPNs require more processing power than a Firestick has.

If you want to hide your Firestick's public IP (not its LAN IP ) you will need to run a VPN on your router.

Just be aware that even with a VPN you won't fool many video providers as they as a matter of course block the IPs of many VPN providers.

thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused as the internet is filled with products that are intended for android\firestick devices. Here's just a few. some sites even show you how to use the Downloader app to download the VPN app to the stick. Is it better to install it on my Archer C7 1750? I'm hesitant to install it there as it would route all of my families traffic over the VPN when it's not necessary.

Can you elaborate on why these vpn apps will not run? I have a firestick 2nd gen if that makes a difference. Thanks

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/amazon-fire-tv-stick-vpn

https://troypoint.com/best-vpn-for-firestick/

I don't have a firestick so I can't tell you for sure that you can run a VPN on one. But as I said most devices of this type don't have the necessary processor power to do so. I use a couple of Roku's and a Chromecast and none of them will allow me to set up a VPN on them. My router runs a VPN and if my devices including Smart TVs tries to connect when using a VPN I can't stream anything.

Even if the firestick can run a VPN the fact remains that most streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime block VPNs. What server works today may not work next month.

There are for sure VPN apps that work fine on a FireStick. I use OpenVPN on my FireStick 4k when we go on vacation to get back to my house.

Now, the real question is what are you trying to do? Who are you trying to hide from? A VPN doesn't magically "shield" you from anything. You are just shifting who can or can't see all of your traffic flows. Your traffic flows and your IP are still known to somebody.....just a matter of who you are trying prevent from seeing it.

There are for sure VPN apps that work fine on a FireStick. I use OpenVPN on my FireStick 4k when we go on vacation to get back to my house.

Interesting to know. What kind of download speed can you get using a VPN on a Firestick? Enough to watch a movie in HD?

Interesting to know. What kind of download speed can you get using a VPN on a Firestick? Enough to watch a movie in HD?
I have PIA VPN installed on my 2nd gen Firestick (FS). I used the Apps2Fire app to move the VPN app from android phone to the Firestick. On a good day on 5ghz wireless i can almost get 50 mbps. However its normally around 30 mbps. I use Kodi alot on the FS. Even the 30 mbps is good enough for 1080p....but best to use 720p for less stutter.

I have PIA VPN installed on my 2nd gen Firestick (FS). I used the Apps2Fire app to move the VPN app from android phone to the Firestick. On a good day on 5ghz wireless i can almost get 50 mbps. However its normally around 30 mbps. I use Kodi alot on the FS. Even the 30 mbps is good enough for 1080p....but best to use 720p for less stutter.

OK. Thanks for the information if we ever get to travel again I will keep this solution in mind.

It has been a year since I last tested....if I recall I only tested it on Sage and ran into keyboard issues and stopped. I have no need for VPN on my sticks otherwise.

I looked at some VPN option me at the house once to try to work around some geofence issues, but the VPN provider was already flagged so no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to "improve" my streaming through Kodi. I live in the US. Thus, enough said on who I'm trying to shield from! ;) ISP'will throttle me down or they have blocked my streaming in the past. I just upgraded to the latest Kodi, Leia 18.6. For what it's worth, my Firestick speedtest came in at 92 mbps.

As for my initial question though, I'd still like to know how a VPN service, on a firestick, " shields" the streaming data, (Tunneling) when the IP address on my Internet Modem, is not running on the VPN. The internet modem has the IP address\MAC that is connecting to my ISP and handling the data flow from my home to the ISP.

I concur on the 720p. Less stutter so far, with smaller file streams.

The data is encrypted from the Firestick to the VPN provider's server. Your ISP of course can see the data packets but has no idea what is in them unless they use some deep packet inspection tool.

Your ISP will or will if they want know that you are connecting using a VPN by simply having a list of known VPNs IPs or by looking at the packet's structure.

If you are in China good luck using a VPN as the great firewall of China makes it almost impossible.

Also be aware that using a VPN probably won't fully protect you from the copyright police as the words "we keep no logs" is just ink on paper.

True that. I know us "citizens" won't have the time or the legal leg, to stand on against the big ISP's. thanks for the explanation.

I have used ExpressVPN app for firestick, but now i just run the VPN on my RT68U. As previously stated, many streaming providers restrict streaming via VPN. But I've (sortof) found a workaround to most. With trial and error, you can find a VPN server that works well on most streaming services. I found one in NJ that works on Netflix, which seemed to be the hardest to crack. For Sling, AirTV, Amazon Prime, and a couple other services, I've found that turning on the VPN while currently streaming can actually fool the service into thinking you aren't on VPN. It doesn't always work the first time, sometimes takes a couple tries. It does however eventually go back to flagging the VPN... I'd say probably every 2 months on average. I've been able to use the same VPN server just by reconnecting while streaming again. It's a pain, but I've yet to find a better solution to stopping ISP throttling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have used ExpressVPN app for firestick, but now i just run the VPN on my RT68U. As previously stated, many streaming providers restrict streaming via VPN. But I've (sortof) found a workaround to most. With trial and error, you can find a VPN server that works well on most streaming services. I found one in NJ that works on Netflix, which seemed to be the hardest to crack. For Sling, AirTV, Amazon Prime, and a couple other services, I've found that turning on the VPN while currently streaming can actually fool the service into thinking you aren't on VPN. It doesn't always work the first time, sometimes takes a couple tries. It does however eventually go back to flagging the VPN... I'd say probably every 2 months on average. I've been able to use the same VPN server just by reconnecting while streaming again. It's a pain, but I've yet to find a better solution to stopping ISP throttling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
This is the best workaround for me when using PIA VPN:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/x3mrouting-selective-routing-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware.57793/

It bypasses VPN for Netflix, Hulu, Disney & HBO GO to go thru WAN. I use option 3 but there's different ways to setup.