What's new

VPN questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokie

Regular Contributor
Hey Everyone,

just thought I would ask a few questions regarding the vpn side of things. I watched a few videos on YouTube of people setting up a vpn to there network but it never mentioned having an account with a provider. The router created the configure file and the user imported it into a open vpn install on there machine. Is it the case that if you want to vpn to your own network then you don’t need to have a paid account? Obviously you wouldn’t be routing through there servers.
Any info on your own configs would be great.

Yes, no need to have a paid account when using an OpenVPN Server set up on the router you want to connect to from either a client device (handheld, PC, etc.) or from another router (via OpenVPN Client, to allow the entire network to connect to the other router/network).

Cheers
If I had of know that I would of tinkered around a long time ago. If I wanted to also use a paid service for certain devices in my house is this router capable of running both at the same time?

Yes. The router can route as you need it too. Many threads and scripts here capable of doing exactly what you need if the default/basic tools don't offer those options already. :)

The above two are the ones that come immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are many more. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!