What's new

VPN Redirect internet traffic behaviour 384.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vince

Occasional Visitor
There seems to be a problem releasing "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down".
Got 5 openvpn clients defined all with:
-redirect internet traffic: Policy Rules
-Block routed clients if tunnel goes down: Yes
-Rules: Source IP 192.168.1.0/24 Destination IP 0.0.0.0 iface VPN

Only Client 1 working OK but when stopping client 1 and starting client 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 connection is OK but there is no internet access via those servers, starting client 1 again returns to normal operation.
Only after changing Redirect internet traffic to No for all 5 clients, ISP connection is re-established.
Now all 5 clients are working. Even rebooting or power down/up does not release the blocking.

I think the blocking should be removed if the working client is stopped by hand, giving internet access to other clients.

There seems to be a problem releasing "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down".
Got 5 openvpn clients defined all with:
-redirect internet traffic: Policy Rules
-Block routed clients if tunnel goes down: Yes
-Rules: Source IP 192.168.1.0/24 Destination IP 0.0.0.0 iface VPN

Only Client 1 working OK but when stopping client 1 and starting client 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 connection is OK but there is no internet access via those servers, starting client 1 again returns to normal operation.
Only after changing Redirect internet traffic to No for all 5 clients, ISP connection is re-established.
Now all 5 clients are working. Even rebooting or power down/up does not release the blocking.

I think the blocking should be removed if the working client is stopped by hand, giving internet access to other clients.
Client 1 gets the highest priority followed by clients 2 thru 5. Try putting the routers IP address in the Policy rules for Client 1 and route it to the WAN (see pic in post below). This fixed the issue for me last time I tested this with three clients while writing the VPN Client Set-up guide on my blog site https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/. But it has been a few months...If I did not put the routers IP address in the rules, the web gui would hang and I experienced routing issues.

Last edited:
upload_2018-5-22_18-50-39.png