What's new

VPN Server Stuck in "Initialising" (86u)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitmonster

My OpenVPN server is stuck in "Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection"

I can't see anything in the logs to suggest why. I have tried defaulting the OpenVPN settings, factory resetting (and restoring settings) and changing various settings to default / low and rebooting many times. Any ideas?

Which router? Have you searched the forum? I think this has happened to some people with the AC86U, not sure, do check.

But you must be connected to the Internet when you set it up ot this will happen.

This happened to me as well on an AC86U. Restored factory settings and was able to move forward with the VPN.

My OpenVPN server is stuck in "Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection"

I can't see anything in the logs to suggest why. I have tried defaulting the OpenVPN settings, factory resetting (and restoring settings) and changing various settings to default / low and rebooting many times. Any ideas?
This is happening because of certain features timing out too long before it is able to establish link becomes ready. Make sure no scripts are running and turn off your jffs under administrations tab, then power off your router manually and then power it back on. Your vpn should be working. If this fixes the issue, There has to be a script running that is causing the delay.

Yes 86u, sorry. I did factory reset and restore settings so maybe it's a script.

Is there any way I can diagnose which one or will jffs need to be off for each reboot? Which will disable Diversion and SkyNet. Maybe the only way to fix it is a factory reset and manual reconfigure. Restoring settings restores the issue.

Can I also format jffs and keep traffic stats.

Yes 86u, sorry. I did factory reset and restore settings so maybe it's a script.

Is there any way I can diagnose which one or will jffs need to be off for each reboot? Which will disable Diversion and SkyNet. Maybe the only way to fix it is a factory reset and manual reconfigure. Restoring settings restores the issue.

Can I also format jffs and keep traffic stats.
It is most likely something causing a delay with firewall start or time sync if that helps any.

Well it's stuck on it permanently. Sure I could factory reset but I really would like to isolate the issue..

Any suggestions on isolation..

Screenshot_20190912-183542171_1_1_1.jpg
Go to the settings part of the server that is stuck and hit apply , it should free it up and make it ready

Last edited:
Make sure your JFFS partition isn't full - check on the Tools -> Sysinfo page.

Doesn't seem full, although my log has some odd entries here
https://pastebin.com/V6ZMZsA5

Sysinfo here (JFFS seems fine)
https://pastebin.com/9EyyKtx5

Top looks like this
https://pastebin.com/96Hxr1gT

But I *do* notice in the SkyNet screen (that I also tried temporarily disabling) that Cron jobs are failing - this could be related to the issue

Router Model; RT-AC86U
Skynet Version; v6.8.6 (11/08/2019) (aaf3a1434f6d9cb904e466942b2647e5)
iptables v1.4.15 - (ppp0 @ 192.168.1.1)
ipset v6.32, protocol version: 6
IP Address; (124.171.96.29)
FW Version; 384.13_0 (Jul 31 2019) (4.1.27)
Install Dir; /tmp/mnt/System/skynet (12.4G / 14.3G Space Available)
SWAP File; /tmp/mnt/System/myswap.swp (1.0G)

Cron Jobs | [Failed]
IPSets | [Failed]
IPTables Rules | [Failed]

Doesn't seem full, although my log has some odd entries here
https://pastebin.com/V6ZMZsA5

Sysinfo here (JFFS seems fine)
https://pastebin.com/9EyyKtx5

Top looks like this
https://pastebin.com/96Hxr1gT

But I *do* notice in the SkyNet screen (that I also tried temporarily disabling) that Cron jobs are failing - this could be related to the issue

Router Model; RT-AC86U
Skynet Version; v6.8.6 (11/08/2019) (aaf3a1434f6d9cb904e466942b2647e5)
iptables v1.4.15 - (ppp0 @ 192.168.1.1)
ipset v6.32, protocol version: 6
IP Address; (124.171.96.29)
FW Version; 384.13_0 (Jul 31 2019) (4.1.27)
Install Dir; /tmp/mnt/System/skynet (12.4G / 14.3G Space Available)
SWAP File; /tmp/mnt/System/myswap.swp (1.0G)

Cron Jobs | [Failed]
IPSets | [Failed]
IPTables Rules | [Failed]
most likely the delay caused by skynet not fully starting. your problem could be linked to you using such a big partition to run skynet and swap on. Are you running disk check aswell? if you are, I would advise disabling it to see if it fixes the issue.

I use a 64GB USB drive with a 2GB swap file with no problem. :)

On many routers. ;)

That's a possibility, it's been fine until now. I'll try a new stick. Can I migrate data to a new stick eg stats and traffic history and configs

Yes, USB drive corruption is a distinct possibility here, as is a possible need to re-format the jffs partition (which is what solved this exact issue for me not too long ago, same router too). In other threads mentioning this problem, the only thing that solved the issue was a complete reset and manual reconfiguring. Some have also claimed that this is a sign of their 86U having irreparable issues that are only resolved by doing an RMA. For all of our sakes, I hope that is extremely rare, but this model does seem to have more than it's share of apparent hardware flakiness (mostly radio related, but not always).

I had this issue after doing fresh install. Rested to defaults, reformatted the USB and all was good. Then when I enabled ntp on the router Skynet had an issue starting up and this would also prevent my VPN client do start. Things got even worse when I disabled/cleared nvram setting called dns_probe_content which is set to a Microsoft site and I don’t really want that.
There is some sort of integration between this nvram and ntp. I have my WAN DNS set to DNSSEC and DoT using quad9 servers. I found this very frustrating and installed 384.12. No issues and everything when back to normal.