What's new

VPN Server with Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Basically, I want to use ASUS VPN server to provide an end-end connection for my laptop to my desktop to use RDP (remote desktop protocol). If I enable port forwarding for port 3389 to my desktop, anybody can RDP to my desktop with the only security being my desktop userid/password. How do I ensure that any RDP traffic is coming through the VPN. Is there a way withing the VPN configuration to specify port forwarding?

Basically, I want to use ASUS VPN server to provide an end-end connection for my laptop to my desktop to use RDP (remote desktop protocol). If I enable port forwarding for port 3389 to my desktop, anybody can RDP to my desktop with the only security being my desktop userid/password. How do I ensure that any RDP traffic is coming through the VPN. Is there a way withing the VPN configuration to specify port forwarding?

I’m not at all sure you need to port forward. The vpn effectively puts your remote device on the same network as your deskrop PC. I presume you then tell the relevant RDP program to connect to the internal IP address of the desktop PC.

Perhaps you can test it?

So do two things. First, when you form the VPN tunnel, simply use the internal IP as the RDP server you want to connect to. You end up with double encryption, I think, but it works fine, and now you aren't exposing the LAN.

Second, you can create a script to wake-on-lan your desktop everytime you connect the VPN, and leave the desktop to sleep the rest of the time. You can't do that with RDP directly.