What's new

VPN Throttling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No consumer router will give you 300Mbps over an OpenVPN connection today (200Mbps + is achievable though with the RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U).

No consumer router will give you 300Mbps over an OpenVPN connection today (200Mbps + is achievable though with the RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U).
I have just tested and I get 200Mbps on 500Mbps line on RT-AX86U.
AES-256-GCM and SHA1

Last edited:
Thank you, can u share your favorite for a router with AES-NI acceleration that can work with Merlin software ? its will be great to have at least 300Mbps...

Don't count on getting 300 Mbps consistently regardless of what hardware you have. The limitation is on the VPN provider's server end. A more realistic expectation is 200 - 250 Mbps and less than that during busy periods with heavy loads on their servers.

My ISP gives me a fairly consistent download speed of 450 - 460 Mbps. The last ten speed tests run on my router using VPN client 1 have ranged between 164 - 214 Mbps and that is to my nearest server. To see what's possible take your most powerful PC connect to your router with an Ethernet cable, then install the VPN app from your VPN provider and run some speed tests while using the VPN tunnel. If the provider supports Open VPN, WireGuard, or any other protocols then test using them also just to satisfy yourself that most if not all VPN providers can't support more than 250 Mbps consistently.

Don't count on getting 300 Mbps consistently regardless of what hardware you have. The limitation is on the VPN provider's server end. A more realistic expectation is 200 - 250 Mbps and less than that during busy periods with heavy loads on their servers.

My ISP gives me a fairly consistent download speed of 450 - 460 Mbps. The last ten speed tests run on my router using VPN client 1 have ranged between 164 - 214 Mbps and that is to my nearest server. To see what's possible take your most powerful PC connect to your router with an Ethernet cable, then install the VPN app from your VPN provider and run some speed tests while using the VPN tunnel. If the provider supports Open VPN, WireGuard, or any other protocols then test using them also just to satisfy yourself that most if not all VPN providers can't support more than 250 Mbps consistently.
Tnx for the update. Also, when im using VPN APP im getting ~450Mbps.... but on OpenVpn on a router it is dropping down to 30Mbpd...which doesnt make sense... as any VPN can provide a max of 50% of ur ISP... Can you plz share what router do u use?

Attachments

• With_App_VPN.JPG
    With_App_VPN.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 78
On the 'app', are you talking about a desktop or laptop? Sure, you can get those kinds of speeds there (the hardware performance is much higher than on a router).

You don't get an automatic '50%' of your ISP speeds, it depends on the hardware capabilities, your ISP speeds and the servers you're connecting to.

On the 'app', are you talking about a desktop or laptop? Sure, you can get those kinds of speeds there (the hardware performance is much higher than on a router).

A lot also depends on what hardware the VPN provider has at their end, how many client slots they assign on each server, how many clients are connected when you are, how big their pipe is to the internet along with time of day and distance to the server.

Best VPN speeds I have ever seen using an app on a PC with an I7 processor, 12 gigs of RAM and an ISP download speed of 460 Mbps is in the 350 Mbps range. Often my VPN download speeds are in the 200 - 250 Mbps range and the AC86 can do about the same most of the time.

The 50% rule of thumb for VPN speeds dates back to when a HSD connection was 50 - 100Mbps and before a few routers had AES-NI capable chip sets.