What's new

Solved VPN using Exclusive DNS still queries default ISP servers (RT-AC86U + 386.4)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

im using exclusive and rout all + killswitch, any other config just gets you a dns leak with a vpn (since 686.4 beta till stable).

In addition to setting the "Accept DNS" setting to "Disabled", I ended up scripting up a monitor that runs every few minutes (using 'cru', created/deleted by the vpnclient-event script as appropriate) to detect when the VPN is reachable. If the status changes, then it adds or removes the server=/xyz.org/10.8.0.1 from dnsmasq.conf.add and restarts dnsmasq. This way clients can still access the public-facing xyz.org servers when the VPN goes down and can access both external and internal xyz.org servers while the VPN is up.

> And people need to start learning to read the documentation, quite frankly. It's explained right on the webui:

Fair enough. I did read the pop-up and parsed it as: "Exclusive = use only these servers for all queries from clients [which are able to be] routed through the tunnel."

...instead of: "Exclusive = use only these servers for all queries from clients [which are forced to be] routed through the tunnel."

Which I realize doesn't make much sense, but since I'm routing based on routes pushed from the server rather than using VPN Director or "Redirect Internet traffic", I didn't consider those as being part of the equation.