What's new

VPN vs. Browser SSL/TLS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
I'm only interested in a VPN for its security features. I'm not interested in hiding my identity or appearing to be in a different country.

Normally, the connection between my PC and my bank or my email provider, for example, is already protected by my browser with SSL or TLS. What additional security would I gain by connecting to my bank or my email service with a VPN?

What additional security would I gain by connecting to my bank or my email service with a VPN?

Nothing, since as you say the connection is already secured by TLS between your browser and their web server.

Nothing, since as you say the connection is already secured by TLS between your browser and their web server.

Thank you. This is as I suspected. While it's increasingly the case that web servers provide secured connections, I know it's not guaranteed, so I still have to check. Otherwise, and unless I am so inclined to want to mask my identity or location, it does not seem that I would benefit from using a VPN.

This brings me to my real question: Why do employees (for example) need to 'VPN in' to their employers' networks, when the employers could be using a secured connection?

This brings me to my real question: Why do employees (for example) need to 'VPN in' to their employers' networks, when the employers could be using a secured connection?
Because employees often need to access resources beyond those accessible through simple web and email services (domains, databases, DNS, etc.).

And also to restrict access to only their employees with a valid VPN account.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk