1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

VPN vs. Browser SSL/TLS

Discussion in 'VPN' started by Bulldog, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Regular Contributor

I'm only interested in a VPN for its security features. I'm not interested in hiding my identity or appearing to be in a different country.

Normally, the connection between my PC and my bank or my email provider, for example, is already protected by my browser with SSL or TLS. What additional security would I gain by connecting to my bank or my email service with a VPN?

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Nothing, since as you say the connection is already secured by TLS between your browser and their web server.

3. Bulldog

Thank you. This is as I suspected. While it's increasingly the case that web servers provide secured connections, I know it's not guaranteed, so I still have to check. Otherwise, and unless I am so inclined to want to mask my identity or location, it does not seem that I would benefit from using a VPN.

This brings me to my real question: Why do employees (for example) need to 'VPN in' to their employers' networks, when the employers could be using a secured connection?

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Because employees often need to access resources beyond those accessible through simple web and email services (domains, databases, DNS, etc.).

Bulldog likes this.
  5. Bulldog

Thank you! I 'get it' now.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

And also to restrict access to only their employees with a valid VPN account.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Bulldog likes this.