What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R3 Custom Server List Generation Tutorials and Examples

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I swear I'm talking to some kind of dang bot. ;)
I agree. So do these AI detection services.

1711416886832.png

Hey, atleast it is nice to know you have someone 24/7 to give you a semi-robotic response full of apologies and obfuscation.
If I hear "We are sorry for the inconvenience!" one more time from tier 1 tech support... 🤬🤯😡

If I hear "We are sorry for the inconvenience!" one more time from tier 1 tech support... 🤬🤯😡
This one-"tear" tech support (😢) may actually be a robot. Or, they are probably using some form of text to speech software that is partly filled in by AI. @Viktor Jaep This type of apology from a company that is suppose to provide 24/7 support to its customers is outrageous. I can tell there is no empathy behind the blank apologies. Let me know, and I can join you on the venture to handle this matter.

Last edited:
This one-"tear" tech support (😢) may actually be a robot. Or, they are probably using some form of text to speech software that is partly filled in by AI. @Viktor Jaep This type of apology from a company that is suppose to provide 24/7 support to its customers is outrageous. I can tell there is no empathy behind the blank apologies. Let me know, and I can join you on the venture to handle this matter.
Here's the guy running tech support...

1711424317453.jpeg

Latest update from NordVPN on the Unbound issue... at least they wrote me without me having to prod them on it... which is unusual:

Thank you for your patience with this issue and apologies for the longer update on your ticket.

We have passed the issue to our technician's team, however, we must note that the DNS issues are already known and being fixed. However, we do not have an ETA on when the issues will be fully resolved.

Latest update from NordVPN on the Unbound issue... at least they wrote me without me having to prod them on it... which is unusual:

Thank you for your patience with this issue and apologies for the longer update on your ticket.

We have passed the issue to our technician's team, however, we must note that the DNS issues are already known and being fixed. However, we do not have an ETA on when the issues will be fully resolved.
Hurry up and WAIT!

Hurry up and WAIT!
So interestingly enough (apologies for the obfuscation) but this is how I've been able to continue using Unbound-over-VPN for a few weeks successfully:

VPN 1 Slot -> NordVPN -> randomly picking from 2209 US servers
VPN 5 Slot -> AirVPN -> strictly being used for Unbound-over-VPN DNS lookups, and going against 86 random US servers

VPN Director is configured to let all allowed internet traffic out over VPN 1... No traffic is allowed out over VPN 5. So interestingly enough, as expected, clients will locally request DNS lookups against the LAN side, which Unbound is listening on, then traverses out over VPN 5 to bring back results.

The neat thing about this is that my VPN internet and DNS traffic are now completely separated, and randomly appearing from multiple locations across the US. :p

1712149703326.png

Anywho... just a neat experiment... and it works great. ;)

Do any of the streaming services have a problem with that configuration?

If you use DNSMON (shockingly, you didn't write that script), does all your traffic show as going through the VPN?
1712257436912.png

Do any of the streaming services have a problem with that configuration?

If you use DNSMON (shockingly, you didn't write that script), does all your traffic show as going through the VPN?View attachment 57678
I don't stream over the VPN... my TV basically goes out directly over the WAN... but yes, I do use DNSMON! Good choice in naming this tool! :)

As you can see, all my DNS traffic is going out over my VPN5 (which is AirVPN, tied to Unbound)

1712268198406.png

That's awesome. Maybe I'll give Unbound another try at some point. Last time, the top-level DNS servers were accessed over the WAN for me, IIRC.

That's awesome. Maybe I'll give Unbound another try at some point. Last time, the top-level DNS servers were accessed over the WAN for me, IIRC.
If you're using NordVPN, you might want to hold off on this... they're STILL working on fixing this functionality after they recently broke it.

So interestingly enough (apologies for the obfuscation) but this is how I've been able to continue using Unbound-over-VPN for a few weeks successfully:

VPN 1 Slot -> NordVPN -> randomly picking from 2209 US servers
VPN 5 Slot -> AirVPN -> strictly being used for Unbound-over-VPN DNS lookups, and going against 86 random US servers

VPN Director is configured to let all allowed internet traffic out over VPN 1... No traffic is allowed out over VPN 5. So interestingly enough, as expected, clients will locally request DNS lookups against the LAN side, which Unbound is listening on, then traverses out over VPN 5 to bring back results.

The neat thing about this is that my VPN internet and DNS traffic are now completely separated, and randomly appearing from multiple locations across the US. :p

View attachment 57650

Anywho... just a neat experiment... and it works great. ;)
I just set this up using Proton VPN (internet) and Airvpn as unbound dns. What are your VPN director rules? I put it as 192.168.50.0/24 using VPN 1 which is Proton. And nothing is set to use VPN 5 (Airvpn), that is just setup as unbound outgoing.

I just set this up using Proton VPN (internet) and Airvpn as unbound dns. What are your VPN director rules? I put it as 192.168.50.0/24 using VPN 1 which is Proton. And nothing is set to use VPN 5 (Airvpn), that is just setup as unbound outgoing.
Nice! As I mentioned, my VPN Director is configured to let all allowed internet traffic out over VPN 1 (my rule differs slightly since all allowed traffic comes from a single IP - my Google Nest Wifi Pro router)... No traffic is allowed out over VPN 5, so there's no even any references to VPN5 in VPN Director.

You can download that dnsmon tool mentioned above, and should show you DNS queries only going out through your VPN5.

It might help somebody to correctly setup and avoid DNS leakages...I did several tests and this solution works for me. If you use Unbound, you can use like described by @Viktor Jaep or setup DNS Director and define DNS server for particular devices.

I use network segmentation i.e. network 192.168.5.X is connected to VPN and any device connected to this network use VPN i.e. NORDVPN + VPNMON-R3 + Unbound with following DNS director set:
1713173783610.png

If you setup DNS Director above (i.e. including Odroid device), there is no DNS leakage for assigned devices, see below
1713173894287.png

However when I delete client (Odroid) from the DNS Director list, there is a DNS leakage out of VPN network
1713173907617.png

It might help somebody to correctly setup and avoid DNS leakages...I did several tests and this solution works for me. If you use Unbound, you can use like described by @Viktor Jaep or setup DNS Director and define DNS server for particular devices.

I use network segmentation i.e. network 192.168.5.X is connected to VPN and any device connected to this network use VPN i.e. NORDVPN + VPNMON-R3 + Unbound with following DNS director set:
View attachment 57956

If you setup DNS Director above (i.e. including Odroid device), there is no DNS leakage for assigned devices, see below
View attachment 57957

However when I delete client (Odroid) from the DNS Director list, there is a DNS leakage out of VPN network
View attachment 57958
Thanks for the great how-to guide here @salvo! Inquiring minds want to know... where can we find this "dnsleaktest.sh" script? Is this it: https://github.com/macvk/dnsleaktest

This is the leaktest utility I use... looks like it produces the same kinds of results: https://dnscheck.tools/

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!