What's new

Wake on Lan in LAN (broadcast address only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andro

Occasional Visitor
Can someone explain to me why this is happening?
I am using the stock firmware on the Asus RT-AX86U. I use WoL to wake up my PC from the Internet and on the LAN. I have port forwarding configured with router settings and a fixed entry in the router's ARP table (I know, I know until the first router reboot) screenshots below.

11.png

22.png

Waking up the PC from the Internet works very well (I use a domain), waking up in LAN network of course also works but I have a problem with the IP addresses I need to use for this.

The address of my PC on the LAN is 172.16.0.10

If I connect from the outside via Wireguard VPN (serves set up on the router) by phone with Android app to the LAN, I can use all addresses to wake up:
- 172.16.0.255 (brodcast)
- domain also works

However, being on the LAN (without VPN), I can't use the PC address, which is 172.16.0.10, to wake up the PC. WoL works only with the address 172.16.0.255 (broadcast address) and that's what I don't understand. Why does not work direct addresses 172.16.0.10, because connecting to the LAN via VPN this address works.