What's new

Wake pc on lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KW.

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I've tried some apps on my iphone to be able to turn on my computer remotly inside my network. (wake on lan). Started with some apps on the phone one named "wake up" and one "Wol". Also been googling around and changed settings in bios and windows 10, like the wifi adapter.
My goal is to be able to turn on the PC that is only connected wireless to the router. Is this possible. Im stuck so wonder if it is some easy step I missed.

My router is a netgear r9000.

Bonus would be to also be able to turn off the computer from my phone.

To turn off the computer, at least 'properly', you need to use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) or similar.

If the computer's BIOS/UEFI doesn't support WOL over Wi-Fi, I don't think you'll get it to work.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? A laptop may have a slim chance, a common desktop 'none'...

What exactly do you need to turn it on or off for? Isn't 'sleep' a good option?

As an aside, be wary of the 'apps' you install on your phone. They're not all gumdrops and rainbows. ;)

Reactions: KW.
My bios setting have wake on lan enabled its a desktop, but not sure how to check if it works over wifi and not just cable. The network adapter should be able thou.

Maybe it is time to change the motherboard to the newer one after all...

If I get the desktop to sleep and can wake it up that would work, if turn it off makes it impossible to wake.

Thanks for the tips of RDC.

I hear you about the apps:)

WOL does NOT work over wireless. It's strictly wire. If you want WOL over wireless, consider using a wireless ethernet bridge between the PC and router.

Alternatively, get yourself a wifi smart AC plug to turn ON/OFF power to the PC. Most BIOSes have a setting that reboots the PC on restoration of lost power (name varies from BIOS to BIOS). You can use that to your advantage to create the equivalent of WOL over wireless (or wire). Once you shutdown the PC and need to reboot it, you simply power cycle the wifi smart AC plug to trigger the reboot. In many ways, it's better than traditional WOL since it supports devices that don't otherwise support it, for whatever reasons.

WOL does NOT work over wireless. It's strictly wire.
As the preceding post shows Wake on Wireless LAN is an Intel feature supported by some of their WiFi adapters. However getting it to work is not always possible:

Thanks for all the engagement in my latest endeavor:) Did not think it was so complicated with Wireless wake on lan, but this forum is great with people that think outside the box.
Alternatively, get yourself a wifi smart AC plug to turn ON/OFF power to the PC. Most BIOSes have a setting that reboots the PC on restoration of lost power (name varies from BIOS to BIOS). You can use that to your advantage to create the equivalent of WOL over wireless (or wire). Once you shutdown the PC and need to reboot it, you simply power cycle the wifi smart AC plug to trigger the reboot. In many ways, it's better than traditional WOL since it supports devices that don't otherwise support it, for whatever reasons.

This sound as a really smart and easy solution. Will try it. Just need to get the AC plug and do some research on the bios settings.

Just to update I got it to work. But the PC need to be closed in sleep mode, then if I cut the power and turn it on it will restart. So thats good. If I completly shut down the pc thou it wont work. I am not sure if this put the pc under much stress to cut the power in sleep?

Just to update I got it to work. But the PC need to be closed in sleep mode, then if I cut the power and turn it on it will restart. So thats good. If I completly shut down the pc thou it wont work. I am not sure if this put the pc under much stress to cut the power in sleep?
Did you do anything special?
I'm trying to make it work with my RT-AX86U + Intel AX200 on my desktop, but it doesn't work, even from sleep ...
"Wake On Magic Packet" is enabled and the AX200 is allowed to wake the PC, but it still doesn't work

Did you do anything special?
I'm trying to make it work with my RT-AX86U + Intel AX200 on my desktop, but it doesn't work, even from sleep ...
"Wake On Magic Packet" is enabled and the AX200 is allowed to wake the PC, but it still doesn't work
My understanding of his last post was that he had abandoned his attempts at using Wake on Wireless LAN and was instead simply turning off/on the power to the computer when it is in standby. Quote: "...then if I cut the power and turn it on it will restart."

Last edited: