What's new

WAN Via WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin K

Regular Contributor
How do I reconfigure an RT-AC68U to get its WAN connection via WiFi?

I'm aware that I can change "Operation Mode" to Repeater, but that makes additional, undesired changes, such as altering its LAN IP address. I have an AC68U with an ISP router upstream. I want to just (manally) switch the AC68U from using the ISP router to using my cell phone when the wired connection goes down, and then switch it back to the ISP router when the wired connection comes back up.

You can't, the router doesn't support it. This question has been asked quite a few times.

Since I have a drawer-full of wifi-enabled routers, I'm thinking that plan-B would be to take an unused N66U, put *it* in repeater mode, associate it to my cell phone, and then to plug my AC68U into that. i.e. I'll add a router in repeater mode, upstream of my 'real' router.

I knew there was I reason not to throw out my old routers! ;-)

Similar to your idea, the other solution usually suggested is to put the "other router" into media bridge mode and plug that into the AC68U's WAN port. This avoids a overhead associated with repeater mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!