What's new

WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KaibutsuX

New Around Here
I'm on Merlin 384.10_2 and an Asus RT-AC3100 and I was seeing the same issue with the previous release as well.

On my router I have Diversion installed for ad-blocking and I also run OpenVPN with protonVPN as a client so that my entire LAN is tunneled through this VPN (except for when I connect to my work VPN).

I was seeing occasional network interruptions every couple of days, with my logs showing "Apr 26 15:14:59 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." and all my network connections (wired and wireless) being lost until I rebooted the router. Disabling my protonVPN would not restore any connections, only a reboot (from the web gui) fixed it.

Now this past week it's gotten so bad, that it's doing it literally every 5 minutes. After a reboot, my connections come back up, I log back into my website tabs, and everything drops again required a reboot.

What I've tried:
1) Disconnected the USB flash drive from the router (disabling Diversion since it's installed here) - no change
2) Adding a fan to the router (which did lower the temps by about 20C) - no change
3) Disabling my protonVPN - no more drops. My router has been connected for 3 continuous days now.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm wondering if my router is underpowered for the amount of vpn traffic it's handling, but I've been running this configuration for almost a full year with no problems or changes until the two most recent firmware upgrades.

There are numerous posts about the error message. Use the search box at the top right of the page.

Other things I've tried:
4) Used the search box at the top right of the page to find tons of messages with the same issue (although no one else is experiencing it only on vpn connections) with no resolutions.

I'm on Merlin 384.10_2 and an Asus RT-AC3100 and I was seeing the same issue with the previous release as well.

On my router I have Diversion installed for ad-blocking and I also run OpenVPN with protonVPN as a client so that my entire LAN is tunneled through this VPN (except for when I connect to my work VPN).

I was seeing occasional network interruptions every couple of days, with my logs showing "Apr 26 15:14:59 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." and all my network connections (wired and wireless) being lost until I rebooted the router. Disabling my protonVPN would not restore any connections, only a reboot (from the web gui) fixed it.

Now this past week it's gotten so bad, that it's doing it literally every 5 minutes. After a reboot, my connections come back up, I log back into my website tabs, and everything drops again required a reboot.

What I've tried:
1) Disconnected the USB flash drive from the router (disabling Diversion since it's installed here) - no change
2) Adding a fan to the router (which did lower the temps by about 20C) - no change
3) Disabling my protonVPN - no more drops. My router has been connected for 3 continuous days now.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm wondering if my router is underpowered for the amount of vpn traffic it's handling, but I've been running this configuration for almost a full year with no problems or changes until the two most recent firmware upgrades.
Did you solve that issue? Have the same problem.

Are you trying to run torrents on a free ProtonVPN account by chance? They will autodisconnect you unless you are on vpn server that supports torrents.. which if I recall correctly means you need a paid account. I learned that the hard way when my subscription ran out and I ignored the warnings to resubscribe.

Are you trying to run torrents on a free ProtonVPN account by chance? They will autodisconnect you unless you are on vpn server that supports torrents.. which if I recall correctly means you need a paid account. I learned that the hard way when my subscription ran out and I ignored the warnings to resubscribe.
Not at all. i actually have 3 VPN clients running, it paid accounts but not for torrent. for geo location content. i can't figure out what it is. i factory restored the router (AC86U) i configured the whole thing manually again. i thought problem solved but after few hours, no internet. no wifi no lan. have to reboot the router. any other ideas?

..any other ideas?
- Are you running Dual WAN? try single WAN.
- Another idea. At the time of the error message what happens if you plug your Personal computer directly into the WAN port on the cable modem or DSL modem and attempt to access the internet directly? Is there service? I have had the signal levels on my cable modem drift off into ranges that need the cable company to adjust them. Oddly its usually after they do repairs on their network in my neighbourhood.
- Can you access the modem diagnostic screens.. on some modems it would be 192.168.100.1 for example and compare the readings and errors when its working to when its not.
-Does the modem disconnect more often with heavy traffic as opposed to light traffic?

Perhaps its not a technical issue and more of a Fair use policy issue?
-My thought at this point would be to evaluate the reliability of the carrier or their Internet Traffic Management Policy. Perhaps they have issue with the amount of traffic you are loading on their network over a given period of time. Sometimes referred to as "Fair use policy". Disconnecting your connection for a period of time then brings you back into their planned usage range.

(I had a carrier once that decided to make room for their IPTV service by throttling all the VPN traffic down to almost nothing from 7pm to midnite saying it was not an essential service. While this did not cause the router to disconnect from the modem there were times I could not sign in to my VPN provider.)

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. I have an 68u but do not have any issues like this currently.

I’ve seen this happening when I leave VPN’s DNS to resolve all requests as many VPN services recommend. If I set their DNS to Disabled in OpenVPN settings and use Google, Cloudflare, etc. popular DNS servers, the issue disappears.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!