What's new

Want to extend wireless and wired service throughout the house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FatTomato

New Around Here
heres the thing,

I’m new to this site and to ASUS in general. My old router .....REALLY OLD ROUTER, took a crap and I found myself looking for a router.

Luckily I found this site and a few others that helped me decide to go with ASUS RT AC1900P router which I’m pretty happy with, save for one issue, my home has a HUGE fireplace that is laden with brick, concrete, and stone, so it just destroys the signal that I’m trying to catcch on the other side of the house.

I was thinking of buying a few switches and lay them around the house with a few repeaters, then I though about trying to force the two routers to work and after five hours of trying to make a ten year old router work with a brand new router I decided enough is enough and will end up buying another 1900P in the hopes that I can mesh the two together.

Question, if I run a Cat7/8 line straight down from one side of the house to the other, can I hard site the two routers together so I can have wireless for my iPads and iPhone and my kids iPhones and iPads, and use the cable for my Xbox and tv, or am I forced to use wireless for all? I was hoping to hard wire my console so that I can use it as a switch, and for wired gaming, and use the radio portion of it to relay the wireless signal.

Am I wording this right or am I confusing anyone?

How do I set this up right? Does Aimesh only mesh wireless signals ? Can I use Aimesh to mesh the two routers wireless signal and wired switches?

heres the thing,

I’m new to this site and to ASUS in general. My old router .....REALLY OLD ROUTER, took a crap and I found myself looking for a router.

Luckily I found this site and a few others that helped me decide to go with ASUS RT AC1900P router which I’m pretty happy with, save for one issue, my home has a HUGE fireplace that is laden with brick, concrete, and stone, so it just destroys the signal that I’m trying to catcch on the other side of the house.

I was thinking of buying a few switches and lay them around the house with a few repeaters, then I though about trying to force the two routers to work and after five hours of trying to make a ten year old router work with a brand new router I decided enough is enough and will end up buying another 1900P in the hopes that I can mesh the two together.

Question, if I run a Cat7/8 line straight down from one side of the house to the other, can I hard site the two routers together so I can have wireless for my iPads and iPhone and my kids iPhones and iPads, and use the cable for my Xbox and tv, or am I forced to use wireless for all? I was hoping to hard wire my console so that I can use it as a switch, and for wired gaming, and use the radio portion of it to relay the wireless signal.

How do I set this up right? Does Aimesh only mesh wireless signals ? Can I use Aimesh to mesh the two routers wireless signal and wired switches?

For anyone interested it’s an old linksys wrt 54G router that I was trying to mesh with a brand new Asus RT ac 1900p....the linksys has an old xD-wrt setup and I was hoping to save a hundred by re using the older router but I’m not sure I’m doing this right

Wire the 2 together
Configure AiMesh
Both will broadcast the same wifi
Both will offer all LAN ports as part of the same network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bin the linksys and get the second Asus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heres the thing,

You can setup an AiMesh with separate SSIDs for the two WiFi bands.

You can try deploying each AiMesh node facing each other on a line clear of the masonry obstacle... even partially clear helps... and use a wireless backhaul to get up and running. Later, you can add the wired backhaul, router/root node LAN to node WAN, and set the AiMesh node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

My install notes may help.

Only add network bits/switches you actually need... keep it simple. AiMesh will mesh routers as mesh nodes using wired and/or wireless backhauls (interconnects). The LAN ports on router/nodes are available for wired clients. Give some thought to router and node placement to minimize backhaul traffic... no point in burdening a wireless backhaul unnecessarily if you can route that Internet traffic directly out the router/root node to/from the Internet.

(Two 86Us would have offered stronger hardware for VPN encryption, ~20% stronger WiFi, and Smart Connect support for using the same one SSID for both bands.)

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!