What's new

Want to upgrade my routers for AI MESH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kansai555

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I m currently using RT AC 3100 as domain, 2 RT AC 68U as nodes.

My home is about 2400 sq ft, AC3100 in the second floor, 2 AC 68U on the main floor because I have NEST doorbell and outdoor camera in the backyard.

I tried to run the NEST products with 1 AC68U, but both cameras always gets disconnected by itself few times a day.

Now I have 2 AC68U , the cameras doesnt disconnect itself less.

I m tired of the cameras disconnect itself, would I need GT5300 or AX 11000 to use as a node in the main floor would keep the cameras from disconnecting? I saw a youtube review explained that the GT5300 penetrate concrete wall better with stronger signal.

Hello everyone, I m currently using RT AC 3100 as domain, 2 RT AC 68U as nodes.

My home is about 2400 sq ft, AC3100 in the second floor, 2 AC 68U on the main floor because I have NEST doorbell and outdoor camera in the backyard.

I tried to run the NEST products with 1 AC68U, but both cameras always gets disconnected by itself few times a day.

Now I have 2 AC68U , the cameras doesnt disconnect itself less.

I m tired of the cameras disconnect itself, would I need GT5300 or AX 11000 to use as a node in the main floor would keep the cameras from disconnecting? I saw a youtube review explained that the GT5300 penetrate concrete wall better with stronger signal.

It might help to use a WiFi Analyzer app on each side of that concrete wall to get a better idea of how much it attenuates the WiFi signal power.

As for the GT5300, I doubt it is any better than any other solid wireless router with regard to your signal path. And it's probably a bit more quirky and less supported, being a more expensive, niche product. But that's just my impression.

OE

It might help to use a WiFi Analyzer app on each side of that concrete wall to get a better idea of how much it attenuates the WiFi signal power.

As for the GT5300, I doubt it is any better than any other solid wireless router with regard to your signal path. And it's probably a bit more quirky and less supported, being a more expensive, niche product. But that's just my impression.

OE

If Gt5300 doesnt improve the signal.

What could I do with my setup?

If Gt5300 doesnt improve the signal.

What could I do with my setup?

Determine why your camera is disconnecting. And then solve that problem.

I use this app on Android to get a rough idea of signal power. Investigate your WiFi signal through that concrete wall.

OE

Last edited:
Can you show us a quick drawing with distances of your layout? That would help. :)

Your disconnects might be rather firmware problem than poor signal.
Try with AP mode instead of Aimesh and different SSID on 2.4GHz, then connect your cameras to this new SSID.

Your disconnects might be rather firmware problem than poor signal.
Try with AP mode instead of Aimesh and different SSID on 2.4GHz, then connect your cameras to this new SSID.

if i do AP mode, how do I strengthen the wifi signal like AI MESH? how do I add nodes with AP mode?

@kansai555 what are the dimensions and distances represented in your drawing between the two RT-AC68U's and the RT-AC3100? Which one is the main router?

if i do AP mode, how do I strengthen the wifi signal like AI MESH? how do I add nodes with AP mode?

AiMesh is just a better AP Mode, imo... says "AP Mode" right in the AiMesh router Wireless Log. The WiFi signal is from the same equipment. The backhaul can be wired or wireless.

Have you tested a camera sitting inside near the router? Does it stay connected?

OE

AiMesh is just a better AP Mode, imo... says "AP Mode" right in the AiMesh router Wireless Log. The WiFi signal is from the same equipment. The backhaul can be wired or wireless.

Have you tested a camera sitting inside near the router? Does it stay connected?

OE

backhaul can be wireless? cool

since i have a AC3100 and 2 AC68U, would it be better to have routers as AP MODE?

Might want to try setting static IP in the 3100 for the Nest and camera.

Could be they disconnect when renewing lease.

Might also try disable Roaming assistant and Airtime Fairness under wireless > professional.

The main router is AC3100,

The distances between two 68U is about 20ft apart.

That's close! If your nodes are wired to the router, make sure you set their connection priority to wired/Ethernet to prevent the use of the wireless backhauls which could be over multiple paths, star or daisy-chained.

You need to assess signal strength at the cameras!

OE

backhaul can be wireless? cool

since i have a AC3100 and 2 AC68U, would it be better to have routers as AP MODE?

AP Mode requires a wired backhaul.

AiMesh can use wired or wireless backhaul. That's one reason it's better than AP Mode, imo.

What are you using for your AiMesh backhaul?

You can try AP Mode and then tell us if it's better for your cameras.

OE

remove right-side 68U, they only produce interferences nearby as they are. And if possible use LAN-backhaul for main and node, Wifi always 2nd choice.

The main router is AC3100,

The distances between two 68U is about 20ft apart.

If your drawing is anywhere near to scale, there is no need for the 2 AP's at all. You are suffering from WiFi RF-overage right now. ;)

Might want to try setting static IP in the 3100 for the Nest and camera.

Could be they disconnect when renewing lease.

Might also try disable Roaming assistant and Airtime Fairness under wireless > professional.

what does disable Roaming assistant and Airtime Fairness does??

it's never answered if you using smart connect or not.
if you are using default setting, then make sure you disable smart connect (one SSID for both 2.4G and 5G that is) and give 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz different SSID.
easy to do XXX and XXX_5G and you can control which the nest cam connects to by manually assign the SSID (XXX is whatever name you wanna use)
2.4Ghz will provide you with further distance while 5Ghz give you better bandwidth

it might be the nest cam trying to jump between 2.4Ghz and 5G when you use smart connect

it's never answered if you using smart connect or not.
if you are using default setting, then make sure you disable smart connect (one SSID for both 2.4G and 5G that is) and give 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz different SSID.
easy to do XXX and XXX_5G and you can control which the nest cam connects to by manually assign the SSID (XXX is whatever name you wanna use)
2.4Ghz will provide you with further distance while 5Ghz give you better bandwidth

it might be the nest cam trying to jump between 2.4Ghz and 5G when you use smart connect

Hello there,

sorry I forgot to say I dont use smart connect.

Past 4 days, after I turned off roaming assistant, the camera doesnt disconnect as often as before.

I have NEST camera connected with 2.4hz wifi.

Is it possible to have NEST CAM stay connected?