What's new

WAX214 Access Point Ping Time Spikes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ds5686920

Regular Contributor
I just replaced my ASUS WiFi Router/APs (router function turned off) with a Netgear GS305EEP and (2) WAX214's. All firmware is up to date. I am wondering why the ping time will occasionally spike way out of band. Here is my testing and WiFi had full bars:

Connected directly to Spectrum Modem (ping www.ibm.com):

1670444823314.png

Connected directly to Firewalla Gold:
1670444862560.png

Connected directly to Netgear Switch:
1670444889659.png

Connected directly to Office 12-D Jack:
1670444916187.png

Connected to Office AP:
1670444939516.png

I just replaced my ASUS WiFi Router/APs (router function turned off) with a Netgear GS305EEP and (2) WAX214's. All firmware is up to date. I am wondering why the ping time will occasionally spike way out of band.

To be clear ... do you know that this wasn't happening with your old gear too? What is your WiFi environment like --- do you have nearby neighbors with their own WiFi gear? What sort of device were you testing with?

I'm asking because ping spikes are kind of the norm for WiFi, unless you have ideal conditions or do a lot of work to neutralize the problems. There's a good thread about that over here.

To be clear ... do you know that this wasn't happening with your old gear too? What is your WiFi environment like --- do you have nearby neighbors with their own WiFi gear? What sort of device were you testing with?

I'm asking because ping spikes are kind of the norm for WiFi, unless you have ideal conditions or do a lot of work to neutralize the problems. There's a good thread about that over here.

This is in a house with plenty of space between. There are (4) WAX214 APs. Should I override the auto-channel feature and specify different bands for each AP?

For what it is worth, initially all (4) APs were using Channel 36 for 5 GHz. After selecting Configure, I played around with different channels then decided to try 'All' (auto select) again. Well, after all that each AP has selected a different channel and large latency spike is no more!

4 APs is an awful lot of WiFi for normal-size houses, unless you've got thick walls that block WiFi effectively. Maybe you don't need so many? Turning down their transmit power might be another way to fix it.

4 APs is an awful lot of WiFi for normal-size houses, unless you've got thick walls that block WiFi effectively. Maybe you don't need so many? Turning down their transmit power might be another way to fix it.

It’s a rather large house. It replaced (4) Unifi units and Cisco switch and watchguard security unit that were corporate supplied for security.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!