What's new

Asus AiMesh with wired access point headache, out of my mind, angry

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrnine324

New Around Here
I'm at a loss folks and before I completely lose my mind in anger and throw all of these Asus routers against the wall, I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. Basic premise is that I live in a 3000 sq ft home, half of it has an upstairs, along with attic space over the garage and all across the entire house. I have probably 75 different devices that need to be connected to the network/internet at any given time, including a lot of Ring and Blink cameras, smart tv's in every room, cell phones, 6 computers, smart door locks, smart garage door opener, printers, and so on. My end goal is full coverage with zero dead spots and no buffering of streaming tv. I have the Gigabit internet package as well.

Ok, so I started out with just one older Asus router that was pre-AiMesh like 6 years ago when I bought the house. It served well enough for most of the house but some dead spots. I tried a wired Wifi Extender in the attic because my front Ring driveway camera couldn't get a good enough connection to even be set up upon install. That worked but was still choppy. Then I saw something about Extenders taking away bandwidth or something like that, so I changed it out for a TP-Link EAP Access Point that had good reviews, also in the attic. This helped quite a bit overall, but I was still getting buffer issues at some spots so I thought I needed more and bought a brand new Asus RT-AX88U and 2 additional AX82U routers. I initially set up the 2 82U's wirelessly because they needed to be close to configure, and then after they were added to aimesh I took them up to their permanent locations and plugged them into ethernet (port 1 on both assuming that is correct, or if it matters I don't know).

Now, it's nothing but headaches for not only the wireless, but even the wired connections. I don't get how that's even possible. One of the computers upstairs is wired to one 82U and it's getting 1000 ping and severe lag in the games. My computer that plugs directly into the downstairs 88U is also taking forever to even pull up the asus router dashboard, let alone navigate the web. None of the wifi devices will connect to the asus aimesh wifi and I'll either get one of several errors: wrong password (which I know is 100% correct password), cannot connect, cannot get IP, and our iphones give the attached error regarding channels. The only devices still working fine without lag are those that were previously connected to the TP-Link AP in the attic PRIOR to me adding the aimesh routers.

What the heck is going on here that I'm not seeing? I put both 82U's into 1G ethernet preferred backhaul, and put the preferred wifi uplink ap to the main 88U router. Now, one thing that comes to mind is cable types. When I first moved in, I ran one cat 5e cable from the main router (older Asus), to the top left room (MS Paint drawing) where a netgear switch used to be. Then, ran a cat 5e from that switch to each of the two rooms up there for computers. Could the older cat5e be a problem, or maybe it was stepped on enough (it ran under the carpet in one or two spots) that the cable is degraded? In my mind, I'm thinking the Wifi issue could be interference or crashing of wifi channels with that AP along with the aimesh network, but I honestly can't think of why the wired network is also having problems. Every wired computer is getting severe lag and possible packet drops. Please help me solve this! Thank you all.

Attachments

• Home_Network_Issues.png
    Home_Network_Issues.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 23
  • aimesh_issues.jpg
    aimesh_issues.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Autism_Wifi_issue.png
    Autism_Wifi_issue.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 24
Uhhh...Switch port 1, or WAN port? Mesh node ethernet should be connected to WAN port.

Uhhh...Switch port 1, or WAN port? Mesh node ethernet should be connected to WAN port.
So, sounding totally stupid here because my brain is still just fried thinking about this, but to confirm, from any port on my main 88U, it should go to the WAN port on both of the 82U's? I'll admit, while I may be an IT Manager at my company, I'm definitely not a network engineer, plus my head is already wrapped around a lot of work projects as it is so I think I've just used up all of my cells. It sucks being an IT person at work, and then going home to continue doing IT work when I'd rather just relax and decompress.

Yes, any router LAN port to AP WAN port.

Although, just thinking again (I know, stop thinking), but even my computer plugged directly into the main 88U router is acting super funky, slow reaction time, taking long time to pull up Asus dashboard, even release and renew of IP address in CMD is slow. Brand new Cat6 cable that is only 12 feet long too. Any thoughts on that?

Although, just thinking again (I know, stop thinking), but even my computer plugged directly into the main 88U router is acting super funky, slow reaction time, taking long time to pull up Asus dashboard, even release and renew of IP address in CMD is slow. Brand new Cat6 cable that is only 12 feet long too. Any thoughts on that?
Look for errors in the router's System Log.

Also, do not set the Backhaul Priority to Ethernet. Leave it on Auto. I have had some issues when forcing Ethernet backhaul. Make sure all your Asus firmwares are up to date.

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24198
ASUS RT-AX82U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231

Also, do not set the Backhaul Priority to Ethernet. Leave it on Auto. I have had some issues when forcing Ethernet backhaul.

First rule of user support... I believe you. However, I think you are the only member here reporting this(?) Have you confirmed same using a different cable for the backhaul... even if only a patch cable for testing purposes?

OE

Also, might force a System Reboot from the Web UI on the primary router. Let's make all of the bits are singing from the same sheet of music. Then take a "Chill Pill". All of the Asus devices involved here like to take their good old sweet time about settling in after changes.

I will chime in and say I'm having similar issues (if I understand OP correctly). My main router is an AX88u, and three wired mesh nodes (AX55, AC86, and AC68). My issues only happens on the 5Ghz network. It seems if I 'roam' to a mesh node on 5Ghz, I experience random internet drops or very slow DNS requests, unresponsive router UI, high ping (even high LAN or node to main router ping), and even complete wifi dropping and reconnecting from my device(s). I may also see a pretty significant drop in internet speeds on the 5ghz band. I first noticed this when I'd walk downstairs and attempt to use my phone; EVERY time I'd have no internet, despite strong wifi connection. Symptoms similar to this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...ut-every-few-days-requires-hard-reboot.87360/

I keep my firmware up to date (typically within a few weeks of release). I don't see anything that seems to be relevant in the logs, even with logging set to Debug/All. I do NOT have this issue when connecting via 2.4ghz to those same nodes. My 5ghz is using channel 157 (non DFS), with auto 20/40/80mhz channel width. I don't have ANY wifi interference (my nearest neighbor is 1/4 a mile away). The mesh topology screen shows each node has great backhaul connection. But it's been an issue for years, even with different node models, and I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:
I will chime in and say I'm having similar issues (if I understand OP correctly). My main router is an AX88u, and three wired mesh nodes (AX55, AC86, and AC68). My issues only happens on the 5Ghz network. It seems if I 'roam' to a mesh node on 5Ghz, I experience random internet drops or very slow DNS requests, unresponsive router UI, high ping (even high LAN or node to main router ping), and even complete wifi dropping and reconnecting from my device(s). I may also see a pretty significant drop in internet speeds on the 5ghz band. I first noticed this when I'd walk downstairs and attempt to use my phone; EVERY time I'd have no internet, despite strong wifi connection. Symptoms similar to this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...ut-every-few-days-requires-hard-reboot.87360/

I keep my firmware up to date (typically within a few weeks of release). I don't see anything that seems to be relevant in the logs, even with logging set to Debug/All. I do NOT have this issue when connecting via 2.4ghz to those same nodes. My 5ghz is using channel 157 (non DFS), with auto 20/40/80mhz channel width. I don't have ANY wifi interference (my nearest neighbor is 1/4 a mile away). The mesh topology screen shows each node has great backhaul connection. But it's been an issue for years, even with different node models, and I just can't figure it out.

Maybe the AC86U 5.0 radio is acting up... try roaming without it ON.

OE

Maybe the AC86U 5.0 radio is acting up... try roaming without it ON.

OE
I've tried that. Roaming on 2.4 works fine, but any of the 5ghz I have issues. The AC86 used to be my basement node and I was having troubles with the 5ghz roaming so I purchased the AX55 to replace it (and moved the 86 to a location a couple hundred feet away). Same problem on the AX55.

I've tried that. Roaming on 2.4 works fine, but any of the 5ghz I have issues. The AC86 used to be my basement node and I was having troubles with the 5ghz roaming so I purchased the AX55 to replace it (and moved the 86 to a location a couple hundred feet away). Same problem on the AX55.
If you have Ethernet Backhaul mode enabled, disable it. Also use Dual Band SmartConnect on the main router. The AC68U does not have this feature but will use the same SSID for both bands anyway.

I can't actually disable ethernet backhaul, as the setting in each mesh node for that is greyed out. I had disabled smart connect based on other feedback for this issue previously, but I can re-enable, though if I end up with the same SSID for the 2.4 and 5ghz with that setting, I know for a fact that causes big problems here with our smart home and iot devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!