What's new

Way to block devices from reaching out to google dns on AC68u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

josh3003

Regular Contributor
As per title, just running a dual high availability pihole setup and want to ensure some devices i.e. chromecast and other android devices with hardcoded dns do not reach out to google. Cheers!

As per title, just running a dual high availability pihole setup and want to ensure some devices i.e. chromecast and other android devices with hardcoded dns do not reach out to google. Cheers!
Make sure in LAN-DHCP Server you have both of your PiHoles IPs as the DNS Servers and Apply. Then in LAN-DNSFilter turn it on, set the filter mode to Router, and create exceptions for both Pis MAC addresses with the Filter Mode set to No Filtering.

So your devices that accept the DHCP DNS servers will use your Pis as the Primary and Secondary. Then for any devices that ignore the DHCP DNS servers, the router will forward the DNS requests to the Pis. The only downside is for those devices ignoring what DHCP is telling them, the Pi will just see the router as the source.

So your devices that accept the DHCP DNS servers will use your Pis as the Primary and Secondary. Then for any devices that ignore the DHCP DNS servers, the router will forward the DNS requests to the Pis. The only downside is for those devices ignoring what DHCP is telling them, the Pi will just see the router as the source.
Ok cool, I currently have it setup as this currently. Was just double checking that this blocks dns redirects. Thanks!

Ok cool, I currently have it setup as this currently. Was just double checking that this blocks dns redirects. Thanks!
Others that are more knowledgeable than me might say something different, but that's how I have mine setup. You could try a DNS leak test as well, to confirm.

This may no longer work for all devices! So far as I can tell, some Google Home/Nest devices can tell if they are not accessing Google's own DNS servers. This is irrespective of whether you use the DNS-Filter page or manually using LAN > Route

*Pretty sure it is the device detecting this since both methods work for my Chromecasts, but not for the Home assistants!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!