What's new

We are soon to get faster than 1 gig internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It will probably some time before we see these offerings for home. But 2.5 gig / 10 gb card upgrade should do.

There are a lot of 10 gig devices that only support 10 gig and 1 gig. You need Nbase-T to have 2.5/5 gig support.

10G spec was out before Mgig.

AT&T is going to offer 5 gig internet for homes and small businesses.

Depends on where one lives...

Best AT&T can do here at my house is their Internet 100 plan, we don't even get FTTN :(

I was just thinking about this very subject when I read the AT&T 5Gbs announcement. I'm on their 1Gb service now and it's been solid, hoping the GT-AXE16000 or the GT-AX11000 Pro that was just announced, will do the trick. Would miss the 8 ports the AX-88 gives me, but I can always add a switch that supports link aggregation for local wired connectivity, keeping the AX86's as the Aimesh nodes.

Being that this has a Broadcom chipset, hoping it'll get a Merlin build unlike the AX89.

I would think a lot of hardware will fall short. This may more be on the small business side. AT&T is going to offer 5 gig internet for homes and small businesses.

With ATT and these high-end plans, my guess is that they will provide the ONT and Customer facing Router/AP's...

It'll be interesting to see how Big Cable fires back - DOCSIS 3.1 can do 5 gigabit down, 1.5 gigabit up - IIRC, DOCSIS 4.0 doubles that.

If folks are lucky, ports on the RG's will at least be 2.5 GBit, but NBase-T can support 5Gbit on copper, so one can always hope...

That could put a crimp on some that want to have their own Router's on the edge - the other foot that is falling is IPv4 - more CGNAT (or other transitional implementations) and an increased emphasis on IPv6 at last - making IPv6 the primary connection.

There are a lot of 10 gig devices that only support 10 gig and 1 gig. You need Nbase-T to have 2.5/5 gig support.

10G spec was out before Mgig.
With ATT and these high-end plans, my guess is that they will provide the ONT and Customer facing Router/AP's...

It'll be interesting to see how Big Cable fires back - DOCSIS 3.1 can do 5 gigabit down, 1.5 gigabit up - IIRC, DOCSIS 4.0 doubles that.

If folks are lucky, ports on the RG's will at least be 2.5 GBit, but NBase-T can support 5Gbit on copper, so one can always hope...

That could put a crimp on some that want to have their own Router's on the edge - the other foot that is falling is IPv4 - more CGNAT (or other transitional implementations) and an increased emphasis on IPv6 at last - making IPv6 the primary connection.
Actually DOCSIS 4.0+ is already testing 10G speeds, and my guess is Comcast will update its plans soon enough, as they are one to not let competition get past them. They already offer 1.2Gps affordable top tier internet and a 2Gbps for cutting edge at a premium price. As history showed when 1.2Gbps was the premium tier, my thinking is once Comcast is ready, they will update their plans and launch complete multigig tiers. We also have to keep in mind, Routers are now adding 2.5Gbps and 10Gbps ports, but when it comes to modems, they have only recently gone to 2.5Gbps single WAN port. The way I see it, new DOCSIS 4.X modems will carry at minimum 2.5Gbps WAN port, and some of the more premium offerings may offer up to a 10Gbps multigig WAN port. I am sure with AT&T they will supply the equipment and rental cost into their pricing, but fiber usually is controlled atmosphere with no real consumer equipment to purchase separately, so once their partners are ready, they can do direct sales. One thing is for sure, since this pandemic, it seems internet companies are back to speeding up and upgrading their networks and services more rapidly. Just hope they stay away from data caps or the extra speed will not amount to anything really.

My cable ISP is actually reducing their upload speeds so whenever I hear talk of faster DOCSIS I cant help but think my ISP has no plans. Their answer is fiber which, yes, is superior but they have not made it available to me despite the equipment being there (like their database is wrong or something). So will other Cable ISP really invest in the new DOCSIS standard or will they just offer10Gbps down/ 1Mbit up ?

My cable ISP is actually reducing their upload speeds so whenever I hear talk of faster DOCSIS I cant help but think my ISP has no plans. Their answer is fiber which, yes, is superior but they have not made it available to me despite the equipment being there (like their database is wrong or something). So will other Cable ISP really invest in the new DOCSIS standard or will they just offer10Gbps down/ 1Mbit up ?
Docsis 4.0 has a major change which allows symmetrical download/upload speeds to 10Gb+. The other big thing with Docsis 4.0 is it will run on next generation hybrid fiber Coax (HFC) networks. I cannot speak to your particular cable company, but I believe they will update once the network is in place. Some 3rd party cable operators may piggy back off of Comcast network upgrades to an extent and pay a fee to Comcast due to how small or big they are and funding to upgrade massively like this.

No have optimum/Altice. They are rolling out FTTH..coax is left to rot..last "improvment" to coax was decreasing all upload speeds.

Last edited:
Actually DOCSIS 4.0+ is already testing 10G speeds, and my guess is Comcast will update its plans soon enough, as they are one to not let competition get past them.

CoxHSI just recently updated their CMTS front ends to DOCSIS 3.1, and while they still support DOCSIS 3.0, one cannot get the better comm plan speeds unless one is 3.1...

DOCSIS4.x is still a ways off I would think, as one has to pay down the recent investments...

CoxHSI just recently updated their CMTS front ends to DOCSIS 3.1, and while they still support DOCSIS 3.0, one cannot get the better comm plan speeds unless one is 3.1...

DOCSIS4.x is still a ways off I would think, as one has to pay down the recent investments...
Not really. Comcast has already tested a full 10Gbps speed test for the first time, which means it is entering the final stages of internal testing. Now it will be regulatory and spec finalization for equipment to launch. There is a chance we could see Docsis 4.x by end of the year.

Judging historically way things have been done I think you are being way too optimistic. Plus even testing being completed doesn’t mean it’s implementation is near, not as simple as flipping on switch, it took a while even for the previous iteration to go into the field. I agree with @sfx2000 in regards to infrastructure and costs, plus many areas still don’t even have fiber in Comcast’s own network. Might at best see some 4.0 modems at the end of this year if even that, but that’s about it, probably gonna a be a while for the ISP side.

Last edited:
I remember when I got excited upgrading to 56k internet. How far we have come. Don't have to use a CD off the front of a magazine to connect anymore either.

Judging historically way things have been done I think you are being way too optimistic. Plus even testing being completed doesn’t mean it’s implementation is near, not as simple as flipping on switch, it took a while even for the previous iteration to go into the field. I agree with @sfx2000 in regards to infrastructure and costs, plus many areas still don’t even have fiber in Comcast’s own network. Might at best see some 4.0 modems at the end of this year if even that, but that’s about it, gonna a be a while for the ISP side.
Not too optimistic, but I should of said Tier 1 cable operators as the emphasis. Comcast has been testing all last year with test ranging from 4Gbps to 10Gbps symmetrical downloads/uploads and plan on launching with a 10G capable cable modem. It may not hit everyone right away but I can see them launching sometime this year. I have seen them out and about here lately in PA, and my guess is they are putting things into play already. I will say 10G may be further off and more of a longer road but I could see Docsis 4.0 speeds start at 3-4Gbps symmetrical speeds. As for any cable operator that is not Tier 1, that may still be far off in planning.... We will just have to wait and see.

I think it depends how well run the isp is. For example my Altice isp is deploying fiber. But the fiber deployed on my street has not been turned for years..they say it's not available. Your best chance with docsis is to live in a large development with above ground wiring.

I think it depends how well run the isp is. For example my Altice isp is deploying fiber. But the fiber deployed on my street has not been turned for years..they say it's not available. Your best chance with docsis is to live in a large development with above ground wiring.
I do agree on how well an ISP is run, and that also can go with how small or large they are too. This year may be interesting, but if anything takes place, I am thinking late mid year or more realistically end of year for any new speed launch. Mid year, may see at least current gen speeds shift in pricing, with possibly 2Gbps Internet moving from premium tier to possibly where 1.2Gbps speed is now.

I was happy when the two ISPs in my area started providing 100M internet..... I wouldn't know what to do with a gig internet. :)