What's new

Web-cam spying

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HIPAR

New Around Here
That well publicized story about a school spying on students through web cameras on school issued laptops raises some network security issues. Supposedly, they were able to activate the cameras remotely.

I have a web-cam here and there is no way I could access through it through the internet without setting up port forwarding and port triggering on my home network router. Even at that, the camera needs to communicate with a server that tracks my dynamic IP address. I'm not sure how that works either because I would think the ISP assigned address would not be known past the router input port. How can they crash through firewalls and network translation provided by routers?

It would be scary to believe the software planted within the school owned computer could find routers, circumvent passwords, open ports or set up firewall holes.

Of course, the camera can be triggered by some local activity such as visiting a certain website causing a picture to be sent to a server where it could be retrieved. But by all accounts, the system was controlled remotely.

--- CHAS

I was curious about that myself...I haven't seen the name of the software, but I'm guessing it's a special school centrally managed package that's designed to interface with remote users. I haven't found the name of the software they used yet.

My guess is a piece of software preinstalled in the notebook periodically "calls home" to receive instruction or just send snapshots to a server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!