What's new

Web GUI wireless settings page issues RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdang

New Around Here
When I log into the web GUI and go to Wireless under Advanced Settings, the page doesn't fully load and then boots me out whenever I try and click on any of the settings. I am running 3 RT-AC3100's, a main and 2 nodes. This was happening with the original firmware, so I tried updating to the latest Merlin firmware and the Wireless page worked once, then it's failed ever since.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.37.34 AM.png

I've tried rebooting all the routers multiple times and it doesn't seem to help. I'm trying to troubleshoot some wireless issues I've been having with AiMesh but haven't been able to due to the page not loading. Is the actual page corrupt on the router itself? Can I SSH in and replace the page. I do note the following errors when I try to load the Wireless settings page:

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.42.01 AM.png

Any help or insights would be appreciated. I've been looking online and through SNB and haven't found any issues with this particular page in the web GUI and I'm not really sure how or if it can be fixed.

Thanks!
Rick

Use a different browser (or PC), or run your browser in safe mode without any extensions.

Thanks Colin, I've tried running it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on my mac, same on all. I also tried loading the page on my phone with Safari and Chrome, same thing as well. Same when I try in a private browser session and clearing cache with no luck.

Check that nslookup router.asus.com on the client is resolving to your router's IP address.

What URL are you using to log into the router?

I'm using router.asus.com. When I put in 192.168.1.1 it redirects me to router.asus.com.

Code:
~ % nslookup router.asus.com
Server:        192.168.1.1
Address:    192.168.1.1#53

Name:    router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Sounds like the router's web server may be crashing. Just after it kicks you out can you log back in, navigate to System Log - General Log, save the syslog, upload it to pastebin and provide a link?

EDIT: Have you done a factory reset and manual configuration after installing Merlin?

Thanks for the info.

The 4th May entries are there because you have a scheduled reboot setup for 04:00. The router doesn't have a battery backed clock so the date and time go back to the defaults until the router can get the correct time from the internet.

We can see that the watchdog process thinks there's something wrong with the web server so it keeps restarting it. It's done that seven times today so I assume that correlates to each time you try and use the GUI. Unfortunately there aren't really any more clues.

Have you factory reset the router and done a manual setup (i.e. don't reload an old settings file)?

Side note: Your router doesn't have a public IP address (192.168.15.252) therefore DDNS is failing. Go to WAN - DDNS and set Method to retrieve WAN IP to External.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin, I'll give that a try this evening. I did reset the router about a month ago when I got the second AC3100 to set up the AiMesh network. Should I reset the other 2 nodes as well?

Thanks for pointing out the DDNS fail, I've gone in and updated it. Appreciate all your help!

Should I reset the other 2 nodes as well?
It would probably be a good idea to do that. I don't use AiMesh but from what I understand it's simply a matter of hitting the reset button and letting the primary configure them.

This would be a good opportunity to temporarily remove the AiMesh nodes from the equation. So power off the nodes and do the factory reset on the main router. Then log back into the router and see if the problem with the web interface has gone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!