What's new

Solved Web Interface stops working when WAN is down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnny

Occasional Visitor
Firmware: 386.7_2
Router: AX86U

I recently installed 386.7_2 and noticed that I cant log into admin gui when wan goes down. Is this supposed to happen?

When my internet went down yesterday, I lost access to the web interface. I was only able to get access to the web interface when I pulled the cable out of the wan port. I also tried "service restart_wan" through ssh and the web interface went down the time it took for wan to restart.

Was I supposed to do a factory reset after flashing to merlin build?

Yes.

Is this supposed to happen?

Post a screenshot of your WAN, Internet Connection settings. It has to work offline, if you don't forward local queries to upstream DNS.

1 basic.png

Attachments

• 2 wan dns.png
    2 wan dns.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 3 dhcp option.png
    3 dhcp option.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 4 spec.png
    4 spec.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 84
Trying changing "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice" to No under Administration - System.

Factory reset fixed it! I guess it kept some stock firmware low level nvram settings that caused it to go haywire when wan goes down.

The issue came back after I installed my nordvpn client. It turns out the kill switch would shut off access to the admin web interface when wan goes down.

Is this supposed to happen? All traffic is routed through my vpn tunnel. So when WAN goes down, the vpn tunnel shuts off. Is this the reason why I cant access the "local" web interface? I figured since it is done locally, that this shouldn't be a problem?

Is there a way to work around this?

Side notes:
I've tested it with killswitch on and rebooted the cable modem to simluate being wan down, and I'm unable to access admin web interface. Pings to the router also times out when I do service restart_wan ntil it actually comes back up. I have none of these issues when kill switch is off.

Last edited:
Firmware: 386.7_2
Router: AX86U

I recently installed 386.7_2 and noticed that I cant log into admin gui when wan goes down. Is this supposed to happen?

When my internet went down yesterday, I lost access to the web interface. I was only able to get access to the web interface when I pulled the cable out of the wan port. I also tried "service restart_wan" through ssh and the web interface went down the time it took for wan to restart.

Was I supposed to do a factory reset after flashing to merlin build?
Just noticed even my Netgear Nighthawk AX6 router does that. If I connect to it but have the WAN cable disconnected, it wouldn't allow me to access the admin page and redirects me to Netgear's website instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!