What's new

Websites believe I am using a proxy/VPN (factory & Merlin) on N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As a stereotypical Team American, I was blissfully unaware of what the rest of the world was experiencing. Honestly, it looks like most of the world has a crappy Netflix catalog. Some markets have like 10% of what the US has...

Hehe, 90 percent of the US catalog - it's like the college beer party with a warm keg :D

I'm wondering if this is more a crackdown on hacked Netflix accounts - they're pretty cheap on the dark web, and many that use these are outside of the home country of the account...

http://bgr.com/2015/12/01/netflix-hbo-go-spotify-hackers-lifetime/

Most folks actually don't really need a VPN to use Netflix if they're legit users in their home country...

This "folk" has been paying for Netflix since the beginning. So my job sends me to China where I have been for several years. I now need VPN to receive content for which I am paying. Netflix is happy to take my money but not so happy to allow me to have the content.

This "folk" has been paying for Netflix since the beginning. So my job sends me to China where I have been for several years. I now need VPN to receive content for which I am paying. Netflix is happy to take my money but not so happy to allow me to have the content.

Been there - done that - spent more than a bit of time in Shenzhen and Zhuhai - better stuff there....

For travelers - setting up on OpenVPN (or my preference L2TP/IPSec or PPTP) is fairly trivial to get back to the house and still be within constraints...

This use case is perhaps 1 percent of the VPN issues that Netflix is working to avoid...

If one is outside of the US - the local catalog is what it is...

Well I've got a DNS proxy service and PPTP VPN and I can't get back to US catalogue. I've tried some of the so called 'fixed' services too and nothing works.

I suspect Netflix is building meta data to locate you and then profiling your account. They seem to have me pinned down pretty good.

The catalogue in my current location is beyond a joke. Can't see how they sell that service to anyone especially as they maintain price parity to US.

Well I've got a DNS proxy service and PPTP VPN and I can't get back to US catalogue. I've tried some of the so called 'fixed' services too and nothing works.

I suspect Netflix is building meta data to locate you and then profiling your account. They seem to have me pinned down pretty good.

The catalogue in my current location is beyond a joke. Can't see how they sell that service to anyone especially as they maintain price parity to US.

I don't think they try to maintain price parity to US. They are doing what any company does, price it to the maximum the market (where ever that may be) will bear.

Hard to believe I know but..

"We won't see any bump in this quarter's number from the 130 new countries in which Netflix is now available, as that announcement came after the end of the fourth quarter of 2015. Many of those countries may also prove to be priced out of Netflix for now, as the service intends to keep its subscription price at parity with the US, despite lower average incomes in many of its new territories."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/19/10790282/netflix-q4-2015-earnings

I'm wondering if this is more a crackdown on hacked Netflix accounts - they're pretty cheap on the dark web, and many that use these are outside of the home country of the account...

http://bgr.com/2015/12/01/netflix-hbo-go-spotify-hackers-lifetime/

Most folks actually don't really need a VPN to use Netflix if they're legit users in their home country...
The Canadian catalog sucks so much compared to the US one that I cancelled my Netflix account after about 4 months as I ran out of content to watch, most of it being many years old. So, many Canadians use a VPN to access the US catalog.

And our subscription is just as expensive but with a fraction of the content.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

The Canadian catalog sucks so much compared to the US one that I cancelled my Netflix account after about 4 months as I ran out of content to watch, most of it being many years old. So, many Canadians use a VPN to access the US catalog.

And our subscription is just as expensive but with a fraction of the content.

That's perhaps the larger problem - remove the demand for Proxy/VPN by improving the catalog for various regions..

That's perhaps the larger problem - remove the demand for Proxy/VPN by improving the catalog for various regions..

Which is why I say the problem begins with the content providers, not Netflix.

Netflix will lose out.
I pay via a uk account and watch in spain on both.
Havent watched for a week so dont know if its changed since then.

Other have had these checks in place for a while.
Pokerstars a year and a half ago worked out i was behind a vpn playing from another jurisdiction.

Pretty much confirms what I've always suspected - piracy is an availability/distribution problem - most don't want to, but either the content doesn't work with their platforms, or it's just not available via legit channels...

or it's just not available via legit channels...

I have never wanted to loudly advocate it, but this seems to be very true, sadly... though, not unexpectedly.

Pretty much confirms what I've always suspected - piracy is an availability/distribution problem - most don't want to, but either the content doesn't work with their platforms, or it's just not available via legit channels...

Let's just say that my consumption habits have greatly changed since I've gotten access to 7Digital (Formerly HMV Digital), Google Play, Sony Playstation Network and Spotify.

(I would have included Netflix in that list if it had been able to provide anything worthwhile not from 10+ years ago).