What's new

Weird issue with AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shoman94

Regular Contributor
So the other day I decide to change the USB 3 setting to USB 2 as per some recommendations I've seen here with regards to 2.4ghz interference. After applying the setting all devices connected (wired and wireless) lost internet access. I could run the speed test within the router and the router is reporting that it is connected but it passes nothing! So I reset and made all my settings changes manually including that USB 3 to USB 2 and it worked fine.

Today I decide to disable LACP to my switch because it didn't help my overall network performance and the same thing happened! I had to factory reset and manually change all my settings for it to work again!

This has been a very frustrating few days with this router. Router is only 18 months old.

Anyone ever see something like this?

As I've noted many times on these forums, toggling settings is not equivalent to doing a full reset and not toggling the settings at all.

Your case is the most intense example I've seen, but yes, this is normal (to me) working with many router installs per month for the last 8+ years.

It's ridiculous to me. How does changing a setting like that affect all traffic except the router itself.

Not knowing how you set up your router (almost infinite number of ways) and not knowing intimately how the firmware itself works (another way to add to those combinations and permutations), I don't know.

Ridiculous? Maybe. But the fix is fast and repeatable. ;)

As stated above, your example is the most extreme I've seen here on the forums in the last decade.

It's ridiculous to me. How does changing a setting like that affect all traffic except the router itself.

How long your devices lost the connection for? Both settings you have changed force the router to reboot.

Yes both settings cause the router to reboot. Each setting was done on a different day and not at the same time.

Not knowing how you set up your router (almost infinite number of ways) and not knowing intimately how the firmware itself works (another way to add to those combinations and permutations), I don't know.

Ridiculous? Maybe. But the fix is fast and repeatable. ;)

As stated above, your example is the most extreme I've seen here on the forums in the last decade.
It's not a very fast fix as the first time restoring my settings after a reset caused the same issue to occur and I had to do all my settings manually.

Yes, using a saved backup config file negates the full reset.

Still faster than trying to figure out the why.

If I have to do this with any change I make to the router it really is frustrating. This has never happened before to me with this router. Gotta be something on the latest firmware that causes this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!