What's new

"Weird problem"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter Andersson

New Around Here
Hello,

Sorry i cant put a better title cause this is sketchy.

I dont know if this happends with only merlin or also stock asus, havent tried asus.

Ok so.
After a week approximately, and maybe 500GB of WAN-LAN throughput the wired connection to my PC "stops working".

My gf wired connection still works and all wifi units still works. They still have internet.
My PC that doesnt work anymore DOES still work in my LAN, but WAN stops working.
The router still has access to internet and as i said, other clients continue working.

A reset of the router solved it before and it might this time aswell but im thinking this feels like something other then a hardware error. It feels like some kind of traffic limit?? No clue please help guys.

Edit: The router is asus RT-AC86U with 384.12 firmware

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

“After a week...” is that a week since you rebooted the router, or perhaps a week since you got the router?

“my gf wired connection still works...”. gf?

How long have you had the router and is this the only glitch?

How many times has this happened, and rebooting the router cures it every time?

I guess the reason you are sure the fault is not with the PC is that you fixed it by rebooting the router? Have you tried rebooting the PC instead of the router?

Sorry i cant put a better title cause this is sketchy.

After a week approximately, and maybe 500GB of WAN-LAN throughput the wired connection to my PC "stops working".

"Wired connection stops working" would have been significantly better. :)

Can you explain "stops working" though? Is the port still active? Have you tried a different cable?

I've experienced same issue & I'm not on the most recent firmware. I actually currently can't get into my router right now as it's blocked me out :mad::confused:, despite being able to access internet etc, & can't be bothered rebooting just yet. Previously when I've had similar issue, I've turned router firewall off & straight back on, problem solved until next time. So it's a weird problem, not wired one :p.

Welcome to the forum.

“After a week...” is that a week since you rebooted the router, or perhaps a week since you got the router?

“my gf wired connection still works...”. gf?

How long have you had the router and is this the only glitch?

How many times has this happened, and rebooting the router cures it every time?

I guess the reason you are sure the fault is not with the PC is that you fixed it by rebooting the router? Have you tried rebooting the PC instead of the router?

Thank you.

About a week since i got the router, then its a few days between these lockouts from internet.
Sorry, gf=girlfriend - other wired computers works, just not mine - despite trying different ports/cables.
Its now happened 2 times - factory reset has worked 2/2 times now.
Rebooting the PC does nothing, first time it happened i tried countless things on PC for a few hours until i tried factory reset on router, and that fixed it.

"Wired connection stops working" would have been significantly better. :)

Can you explain "stops working" though? Is the port still active? Have you tried a different cable?

You are correct, that would be a better title :)
"Stops working" means access to internet dies, the switchpart of the router continues working for me - i can reach other clients in my LAN but not WAN. And its only from my exact PC, its not the cable and its not the specific LAN-port.

I've experienced same issue & I'm not on the most recent firmware. I actually currently can't get into my router right now as it's blocked me out :mad::confused:, despite being able to access internet etc, & can't be bothered rebooting just yet. Previously when I've had similar issue, I've turned router firewall off & straight back on, problem solved until next time. So it's a weird problem, not wired one :p.

I see :eek:

What happens if you reboot the computer when this happens, do you regain connection?

2 things you could try:

1) move your PC to a different port on the router

2) Try a new ethernet lead.

I have seen issues like this , brand new Cat6 cable , worked for a month and I then had the issues you describe.

Drove me crazy until I found the same problem while trying a spare router.

Changed the ethernet cable and problem solved.

What is more bizarre is that the offending cable works perfectly between other PC's and laptops on the same router .

2 things you could try:

1) move your PC to a different port on the router

2) Try a new ethernet lead.

I have seen issues like this , brand new Cat6 cable , worked for a month and I then had the issues you describe.

Drove me crazy until I found the same problem while trying a spare router.

Changed the ethernet cable and problem solved.

What is more bizarre is that the offending cable works perfectly between other PC's and laptops on the same router .

When the problem arises, changing port or cable does nothing - and the cable and port i use works with other PCs.

But i guess i could try changing port/cable when it works, and see if it stops working with new port/cable

When the problem arises, changing port or cable does nothing - and the cable and port i use works with other PCs.

But i guess i could try changing port/cable when it works, and see if it stops working with new port/cable

That is the best plan, rule out the cable first before spending time chasing firmware/hardware issues.