What's new

WeLine OS (Replacement)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RangerZ

Regular Contributor
I have been looking or a small 2.5" single bay NAS and just discovered the Orico CD2510. It appears to be one of a number of private labeled devices running the WeLine OS.

Devices

WeLine Intro

The devices require registration and uses an "app" on all supported devices. There is not web interface option per the documentation.

Has anyone used this as yet?

More importantly, has anyone tried to replace this WeLine with some other OS (Linux, FreeNas, etc)?

When you buy a product such as a NAS, trust ought to be reasonably high up on your list!
If your first thought is what other OS can I run on this NAS then maybe it's not such a good idea. Depending on the hardware of the NAS it might require a custom OS build, so you might be better off with a box where you can run Linux or FreeNas with an "OffTheShelf" build.
I'm not saying don't do it, but it leaves me uneasy enough that I wouldn't!

When you buy a product such as a NAS, trust ought to be reasonably high up on your list!
If your first thought is what other OS can I run on this NAS then maybe it's not such a good idea. Depending on the hardware of the NAS it might require a custom OS build, so you might be better off with a box where you can run Linux or FreeNas with an "OffTheShelf" build.
I'm not saying don't do it, but it leaves me uneasy enough that I wouldn't!
Yes, trust is the issue. That said there are really no devices in the specific form factor.
I am willing to do some work to replace the OS, I have done this multiple times on other hardware, mostly routers.
Just doing some homework to see if anyone else has already been down this road.
Question stands

Have a look at hardkernal.com and some of the ODROID devices!

A 1-Bay NAS, is not a NAS.

Requires an 'app' also disqualifies it for long-term use.

Searching if anyone is using this hardware with any other OS will give you more timely results than asking in a corner of the www will.

A 1-Bay NAS, is not a NAS.

If one squints hard - it is a network attached storage device...

From a client perspective - it's just a file share on the network...

Any NAS should have a backup solution, whether it is a 6/4/2/1 bay NAS - RAID is not a backup solution, not a single bit...

No, Raid1 or better NAS is not backup. But a single drive is worse. And not worth the hardware it's made from.

Particularly when an app is needed to access/configure it (and then, your data is magically, not just yours).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!