What's new

Went to new Faster Internet Service, Wifi slower.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dasdfarmer

Occasional Visitor
Went to new Faster Internet Service, Wifi slower.

Greetings,
I am currently running a GT-AX11000 router with 2 AX6100 mesh nodes. All nodes are running the latest Stock Firmware. My previous service provided 400 Mbps Download and 30 Mbps upload and I was generally able to see this speed on most devices on my home network.

The New Service is Fibre 1Gbps up and down. I can see this speed via the speed test on the router on wired connections but Wifi Connections running speed test are generally slower than on downloads with my previous provider (in the range of 100-300 Mbps download. Uploads on Wifi are usually 100-300 Mbps with the new provider, much faster than the old but much slower than the wired connection.

I have checked some of the usual suspects and searched the forums and not found any obvious issues. (Like QOS being turned on ).

Doesn't anyone have any suggestion on things I might explore to see if I can determine what is going on.

Best Regards,

You're not the first person to report a problem like this. What are you getting for latency wired vs. wireless? I assume you are connected to the root node (GT-AX11000) when running the wireless speed tests and nothing else is active on Wi-Fi

You're not the first person to report a problem like this. What are you getting for latency wired vs. wireless? I assume you are connected to the root node (GT-AX11000) when running the wireless speed tests and nothing else is active on Wi-Fi

Wired Latency runs 1-2 ms. Wireless at the AX11000 is 2-4 ms. There may be other wireless traffic going on when I run the tests.

Note with my previous internet provided the latencies where much higher, in the 15-20 ms range, wired or wireless.

Thanks for the latencies. Latency generally has to go down as throughput/bandwidth increases. So the lower numbers make sense.
What you mean "wireless at the AX11000". When you're running the speed test from a Wi-Fi client the latency would include the Wi-Fi connection latency.

I was trying to see if Wi-Fi latency was limiting throughput.

Is the speed test using multiple connections?

When I say wireless at the AX1100, I meant that I was connected wirelessly to the AX11000 and not to one of the mesh nodes. .The speed test is using multiple connections.

You need to set it up to use the full 160mhz channel width. In addition, you'll also need to set your AX92u's (AX6100) to share their AX backhaul channel with the clients. Also, setting the AX92u's to AX only will ensure it will only send wifi6 devices to the wifi6 channel. This will stop slower AC / N devices from connecting and slowing down that band.

Your setup is capable of giving you close to 1gbps over WiFi, even on your AX92u nodes, it just needs a few tweaks. Check your AX92u's are connected to each other with a signal less than-55db. Check the wireless logs. As you are sharing the backhaul channel, the nodes should be connected at double your internet speed (2 gbps) to prevent any excessive jitter or buffer bloat.

This is a speed test from mine.

Screenshot_20210621-203149_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:
160 MHz channel bandwidth is not necessary to support 800+ Mbps to a two-stream AX STA at close range. 80 MHz is fine.

The OP is running tests to his root node, so mesh is not involved. Step 1 is to focus on why the root node can't achieve > 500 Mbps throughput.

To rule out whether mesh nodes are causing the problem, just shut them off and run the speetest.

Link to another recent thread about slow Wi-Fi throughput. Not the same exact issue, but he's having no better luck.

My suggestion should work.

Only other thing I can think of is there's a lot of AP's around causing interference or he's disabled beamforming.

Thanks for all of the information.

I turned off the AIMESH nodes and tested Wifi close to the AX11000 and got 6-700 Mbs up and down over several tests. Turned the mesh nodes back on and at the Meshnodes, I am getting about half that speed. Prior to installing the new network provider, I was seeing consistent speed throughout the house.

2 other things to note:
- I only have 1 or 2 Wifi 6 devices, the rest are Wifi 5 or WiFi 4. The tests were run with Wifi 5 Laptops, Windows and MAC.
- The new Internet Provider does not support IPV6 yet so I have it turned off at the Router. The previous provider had IPV6 and I had it turned on at the Router.

Thanks for all of the information.

I turned off the AIMESH nodes and tested Wifi close to the AX11000 and got 6-700 Mbs up and down over several tests. Turned the mesh nodes back on and at the Meshnodes, I am getting about half that speed. Prior to installing the new network provider, I was seeing consistent speed throughout the house.

2 other things to note:
- I only have 1 or 2 Wifi 6 devices, the rest are Wifi 5 or WiFi 4. The tests were run with Wifi 5 Laptops, Windows and MAC.
- The new Internet Provider does not support IPV6 yet so I have it turned off at the Router. The previous provider had IPV6 and I had it turned on at the Router.
For WiFi 5 devices, the AX92u's only provide 2x2 streams (so around 400mb/s - 500mb/s). Their strong point is the 4 x 4 WiFi 6 band which will give those devices the full 1gbps if setup as advised.

Even if you replaced the AX92u's for a node that offers 4 x 4 WiFi 5; unless you live in the middle of nowhere, it's very unlikely you'll be able to run the 2 160Mhz channels required to serve WiFi 5 and 6. Unfortunately, this is the problem we all face during this transition period from WiFi 5 to WiFi 6.

If I was in your position, I would accept that you already have the best setup for a WiFi 6 future and live with the current limitation.

ipv6 doesn't affect bandwidth.

So around 600 Mbps at the root node (router) and half that at mesh nodes. That is normal.

One thing people don't realize about mesh systems, even "Tri-band" systems is that all client devices share the SAME CHANNEL. If you check the client-facing channels on your router and mesh nodes, you'll see them all on the same channel.

So even if devices are connected to different mesh nodes, if each AP can see the other, which they must for mesh to work, the devices will contend for airtime on the same channel. This reduces bandwidth when multiple devices are simultaneously active.

6E can help by providing backhaul in a completely different frequency band. Then it will be possible to use two different 5 GHz 80 MHz channels, one in the low band (36-48), the other in high-band 149-161.