What's new

Wha-ever is this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachacouti

Occasional Visitor
So gets an Ac86u, fire's up merlin, and I'm like, na...

Soz, but I joined just to write this, hopefully as a peice of constructive criticism, take the fence, or the lampost...

I have 30 + years in docsis. Cisco etc, so when it comes to objecting to my entire node's ip's being changed or I'm locked out of my own router by merlins down right takeover of MY router!!!

I cant reset without having to go over and f'n over loging in, or creating accounts because merlin want's to prevent us accessing our gui unless we do what HE says,, create an account...again.... and again... and again... Hint hint, the firmware aint that good if you have to go through all this, believe me, I aint no a** kisser, simply saying it as it ACTUALLY is for those new to this crap... I dont mean the firmware, I mean the shutting everyone out of their INSECURE router forcing them to input account information before ever getting to the gui TO secure it.. wtf?

Oh, and I object to being limited to such small passwords that can be hacked in 0.34 seconds by my nethunter skill's...

Where's the option to just get into the gui to solve problems? Without having to login every 1 second, or every page change...

See, this is why I'm really p'd off..

I have a nice setup, 8 cctv cameras, I wifi cctv box, connected to my tomato router ac56u, works wonders. Also connected, are 3 cmts's, 2 32 port switch's, playstations, wifi routers, avrt7+ igates x 2, so yeah, I know routing...

But when I connect my ac86u merlin router to this network to get an upgrade, even though I set it all up correctly to mirror my old ac56u, MERLIN decides to cut me from my access to the gui by FORCING me to use 192.168.2.1, completely wrecking everything.

See, If I set the ip manually while in the gui, I reboot, and find it all goes well, if I try to login to any of my other devices, I cant, because regardless of IP i attempt, I'm FORCED to not only view, but login again to a page I did NOT ask for.

For instance, if I want to go to 192.168.1.7 to access my cmts, the last thing I want to see is asus login page. If I go to:

192.168.1.1 - Lte cmts
192.168.1.2 - Cisco Cmts 1
192.168.1.3 - Cisco Cmts 2

and on... 4 camera's wifi cctv, all set up to use same ip RANGE.

I dont want my merlin router to be forced onto another ip RANGE.

I want to set this manually so I cant get back to what I was doing, trying to avoid the shiny gui...

Oh wait, I need to login... again, another reset, make same account over and over, since it's the only way out of being FORCED onto 192.168.2.1...

Oh, and I'd like to know why when I disable ethernet device in laptop, when connected to only MERLIN firmware, I get blue screened?

Funny how no other router bluescreens me when I interupt them,,,, manually... just to try manually correcting this one kick butt epic fail...

My apologies...

now how do I stop all this?

I dont want my merlin router to be forced onto another ip RANGE.
No offense, but your rant was hard to follow. Is the Asus RT-AC86U meant to be in a double NAT behind your main router? Can’t really have a WAN address and a LAN address both in 192.168.1.0/24 if you’re natting. Or do you want it as an AP?

Most of your complaints about Merlin are actually Asus stock code, but i don’t think you really care about that.

Cheers ma man, its simple really.

Ac86u, merlin firmware, set up same as old tomato ac56u.

I like old tomato. if ticked, a box loaded gui without a login page. SIMPLE. Simply using root/admin was great.

Now I gotta broadcast all my details in the open over wifi before I can ever get into the router to secure it in order to prevent this simple fact. So really, 3 problems. rattled down to 2, an option to disable the stupid create account to login after every reset before you can change ip after merlin firmware forced this onto you, wrecking all the other ips of the entire range...

Easy to problem solve. Until you try to and find your suddenly being redirected to asus login page instead of the other connected devices you'd use to trouble shoot, hijacked by the asus router login page, which of course, is an entire IP range BLOCKED by merlin.

I want to set my ips manually without creating any account.

Without being locked out by an ip change forced by merlin firmware...

No offense, but your rant was hard to follow. Is the Asus RT-AC86U meant to be in a double NAT behind your main router? Can’t really have a WAN address and a LAN address both in 192.168.1.0/24 if you’re natting. Or do you want it as an AP?

Most of your complaints about Merlin are actually Asus stock code, but i don’t think you really care about that.
Yup I like a rant every now and again, it's good for you.

But hey, it's merlin firmware. Asus firmware does not immediatly take over my ip range. Or change all other devices in the process of attempting to prevent me using same ip range.

A simple button to disable logging in would be better than having to re-do some account over and over... you know, a customer account you CANT set until the router is secure? In otherword, I need to set it up before the CUSTOMER inputs the account information. Simple. I cant have it changing ips or locking me out of test equipment set to the same ip range.

So yeah I have a problem, the forced ip change wrecks my entire ip range, and when testing, even disabling my ethernet connection manually, or removing ethernet leads from the MERLIN firmware, not asus firmware, I get blue screened....

Really, double nat... nah, nat is always off..

I like old school.

I plug my wan ip of my lte router into wan of ac56u. I set lte router to use 2nd ip provided by isp, meaning,

In the ac56u wan I set the lte's 2nd ip, which is the public address of the lte router, rather than the isp's 100.10 private number, in order to bypass dns hijacking. I know it works, i've used it for years. I switch off the lte wifi, and use the ac56u for everything, bypassing the lte's crappy hijackin... bogus domain being the ip and dns of the nisp... actualy works, when dns is set in 2nd router ;)

Now to be able to just get to the gui to set manually what I can in the old router... without knowing the customer account...

I guess its fair to say the setup menu needs deleted. The setup menu is the first problem. I need to do the work before I set it up, customers request. If it wont work on my setup, it will change ip when they connect it. They like many, use 192.168.1.1.

If I set the router to 192.168.1.2, the last thing the customer wants to see is his asus login when it was told 192.168.1.1 is HIS lte router... which works on my ac56u, and every othe router in existance...

I'm pretty sure they dont want me at their house everytime they reset... see, forgetting passwords forces all this again, the problem I'm attempting to cure.

Resetting due to automatic ip changes rather than warnings of ip conflicts... after forgetting a password...

Yeah...

Setup... I would not have had a wee rant if it wasn't for this... I'd manulaly set the ip I need, then set gui to ask the customer for details when they receive product... better security.

Manual disabling of ethernet connection should not bluescreen, nor reset all other devices on same ip range, neither should pulling out the ethernet lead.

I think that about covers it...

Tata merlin if this is it...

Tata merlin if this is it...
Yes, clearly this is the wrong product for you. All your complaints are features of the current stock Asus firmware. Merlin adds features to Asus' firmware but it doesn't change these basic features (this is by design).

So stop wasting your time and look for another router/firmware that fulfils your needs.

RMerlin has nothing to do with login screens and setup wizards. They come from stock Asuswrt. You know networking, right? Don’t plug non-configured routers to your network. Now you know one more thing in networking. Read Asuswrt-Merlin Wiki for firmware details.

RMerlin has nothing to do with login screens and setup wizards. They come from stock Asuswrt. You know networking, right? Don’t plug non-configured routers to your network. Now you know one more thing in networking. Read Asuswrt-Merlin Wiki for firmware details.
In that case could you disable the setup gui in order to CONFIGURE it, if your so sure it's mis-configured?

It's not mis-configured...it's trying to take OVER.

Pay attention.

LTE router = 2nd ip is public address. Plug wan into wan of ac86u. Lan of LTE router is set to 192.168.1.1, this the customer does NOT want changed. So I set ac86u to use LAN 192.168.1.2, and the WAN is set to the LTE routers PUBLIC address, Bogus NX domain the LTE router private address and dns in the ac86u...

Works in every router Ive tested.

Back to school for you

Oh, and to all those accusing me of being what they are....

I used pegasus to decrypt the cfe that's supposed to be uncracked, it's been unlocked for 3 years now...

It's not mis-configured...it's trying to take OVER.

What was your position at Cisco? I’m guessing - janitorial services. Asus routers are toys to configure, home routers for non-tech people. Asuswrt-Merlin initial setup is exactly the same as stock Asuswrt. Download the user manual and read it. Goodbye!

People should not blame stock for customizing failures...
I think you have found by now this community is not receptive to criticism of anything ASUS or Merlin?
Just to be clear for the other folks here - youre not seeing this behavior on STOCK ASUS firmware???

So I guess there's no way to disable the setup gui, or prevent the so called stock from changing ip's?

Sad firmware... anyone want a freebie? Back to tomato...

What was your position at Cisco? I’m guessing - janitorial services. Asus routers are toys to configure, home routers for non-tech people. Asuswrt-Merlin initial setup is exactly the same as stock Asuswrt. Download the user manual and read it. Goodbye!
Hah... Assumption being the mother of all **ckups...

When it comes to cisco, I'll say this, hen i whack, I come through the coax.... if that fails, it's through your power supply...
Yeah, we use 240v network cables here...

I have cisco equipment, does not mean I'm cisco certified... did the tinsley lockart it security course from washington, secured the roslyn chapel website and internal network to keep bro's like you where I can find you... in the blue room..

I'm the reason Virgin moved to arris... haha... fancy a buffer under-run in your arris/motorola?

Soz, Puma chipset?

I think you have found by now this community is not receptive to criticism of anything ASUS or Merlin?
Just to be clear for the other folks here - youre not seeing this behavior on STOCK ASUS firmware???
No, it is not re-producable in STOCK firmware., and I dont care about receptive... other will read and say... another clique bites the dust...

So I guess there's no way to disable the setup gui, or prevent the so called stock from changing ip's?

Sad firmware... anyone want a freebie? Back to tomato...
Hey, if all your complaints revolve around the initial setup GUI pages - and by the way, these do not create any sort of "account" with Merlin (they are the same ones used by stock Asus firmware and they only exist to make sure most people run through the bare minimum to nominally secure their router: ie.-create a username and password for the web interface, as well as create the SSIDs and passwords for those SSIDs) then just go directly to the main router "start" page, accessible at (routerIP)/index.asp , usually either 192.168.1.1/index.asp (or) 192.168.50.1/index.asp in the case of the newer HND platform routers.

Any talk of bluescreens caused by the router is just laughable....

Status
Not open for further replies.