What's new

What addons are you all using?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I find Diversion to be too much of a memory hog to run on my router (RT-AC86U). I run the following:

Skynet (a must. as recommended by many here, great firewall addition)
FreshJR QOS (I've configured it to the way I like.. though thinking hard about switching to CAKE but too lazy to do all the custom QOS rules again)
connmon (to keep track of my connections pinging google.com)
ntpMerlin (I like my own local NTP to keep all my devices sync'ed)
scMerlin (text version of Merlin WebUI, I often SSH into my router and use console more than WebUI)
spdMerlin (to check up on my ISP speed)

I run PiHole separately on another node and route all DNS to that node (IPV4/IPV6) with as my own recursive DNS server (similar to unbound here, but I like PiHole better)

I also recently build my own fork of Merlin's amazing software (my own custom 384.17 with tweaks here and there) with 3 routers (AC86U as main with two AC68Us as AiMesh nodes).

This thread provided the impetus and initial guidance for me as I had never even ssh'd into the router (or anything else) previously because I was too intimidated. I had a few hiccups, but as my signature shows, I'm afraid I got a bit carried away. I am amazed at just how much I have been oblivious to.

Hey do you guys know when i have installed unbound skynet and also diversion that i have to set any configs that they dont interfere ?
Do you think an ssd is better than a flash drive usb stick ?

Hey do you guys know when i have installed unbound skynet and also diversion that i have to set any configs that they dont interfere ?
Do you think an ssd is better than a flash drive usb stick ?

It's better to use a harddrive than an USB stick. I had 2 good Samsung sticks died on me, something about the drive access to external drives are killing the USB sticks. With an old el cheapo harddrive, it's been running flawlessly for over a year (don't have an external SSD).

It's better to use a harddrive than an USB stick. I had 2 good Samsung sticks died on me, something about the drive access to external drives are killing the USB sticks. With an old el cheapo harddrive, it's been running flawlessly for over a year (don't have an external SSD).

I would recommend an SSD over a harddrive for the swap file access.

The USB sticks i've tried all die after a year+ of use so your YMMV with those.

I have an intern ssd is there a way to plugin the ssd it has no usb connection only for Sata cable

I have an intern ssd is there a way to plugin the ssd it has no usb connection only for Sata cable

if/when you remove the ssd from the computer, get a usb case and power supply for the ssd... I've had good results (will only use) asmedia chipsets in ext usb enclosures...

Last edited:
ok thanks do you think it will stay long if the ssd is 24h/7 days running ?

I'm currently running Skynet, Diversion, Scribe and uiScribe. Recently I've uninstalled uiDivStats to spare my old USB stick some writes, I'm already amazed it lasted as long as it did, though I guess now that I've said that it won't last much longer ;)

I've also got Unbound Manager even though I have no intention to run Unbound for the time being but I just HAD to have on my router a script by @Martineau, one of my all-time favourite posters :)

Edit: I didn't mention amtm but now it comes with the firmware so it's not exactly an addon.

Last edited:
What Tool do i need for my intern ssd to be able to plugin over usb to the router?

I find Diversion to be too much of a memory hog to run on my router (RT-AC86U). I run the following:

Skynet (a must. as recommended by many here, great firewall addition)
FreshJR QOS (I've configured it to the way I like.. though thinking hard about switching to CAKE but too lazy to do all the custom QOS rules again)
connmon (to keep track of my connections pinging google.com)
ntpMerlin (I like my own local NTP to keep all my devices sync'ed)
scMerlin (text version of Merlin WebUI, I often SSH into my router and use console more than WebUI)
spdMerlin (to check up on my ISP speed)

I run PiHole separately on another node and route all DNS to that node (IPV4/IPV6) with as my own recursive DNS server (similar to unbound here, but I like PiHole better)

I also recently build my own fork of Merlin's amazing software (my own custom 384.17 with tweaks here and there) with 3 routers (AC86U as main with two AC68Us as AiMesh nodes).
Why are you using the old FreshQOS instead of the newer Flexqos?

I'd just like to know what are you using on your router with the Merlin firmware.

None. The enhancements made by Merlin are enough for me.

Although I played around with various scripts and add ons, ultimately i decided that I want my router to "focus" on its main task of providing sold internet access. Although many add ons work just fine, I personally don't want stability, configuration, update or other things to potentially get in the way. Anything that "could' be added on can also be run on a separate device ($35 Raspberry Pi for instance). This goes double (or triple) for using the USB ports for file sharing.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Why are you using the old FreshQOS instead of the newer Flexqos?

Haha, you just convinced me and I just switched over to FlexQoS... Originally I was lazy and didn't wanted to make any changes but I just read about FlexQoS and decided to "upgrade" to it.

Thanks!

Haha, you just convinced me and I just switched over to FlexQoS... Originally I was lazy and didn't wanted to make any changes but I just read about FlexQoS and decided to "upgrade" to it.

Thanks!
Ah ok, was curious if there was a reason why you stayed on the old version. Anytime, glad I could help.

What Tool do i need for my intern ssd to be able to plugin over usb to the router?
the only proper way this is going to work is if you remove the ssd from the computer and install it in an external case - is it doing anything in the device/computer where it is now?... then reformat it and it's only connection will be to the router over usb - and it's only duty will be as a storage device for the router... is that clear?...

jea right now i dont have it installed in any pc i just bought it and never installed it in any pc, i will use it as an swap file for the scripts if it goes ?

Can someone explain me. Short what recommend settings/Features would you install enable that i have right t now installed and also if i plan to install skynet. Should i enable Youtube adblock and dns Filter in unbound?

Last edited: