What's new

What are my options Netgear R9000 Replacement with at least 6 LAN ports built in?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Never make assumptions! My media center is getting constant airflow, especially the router and NAS. It is hidden from plain sight in reference to your comment about it being in the middle of the house.

The R9000 is failing to the same fate as other Netgear devices of their times due to mfg, component downselect and design. The fact it has lasted this long is a surprise in itself.

Wifi-6 models have 8 ports
If you're up for a bit of getting your hands dirty you could make a custom setup out of a PC.

Need 3 PCIE slots for 2 x quad port cards <any speed you want/need 1/2.5/5/10/etc.>
1 slot for a PCIE WIFI card to support as an AP -- not sure there are any real non-intel based options though even a few years into AX

Throw Linux on it and add hostapd for AP functionality

Since price doesn't seem to be the priority this is your chance to take some control over your network options and avoid the switch by using NIC's instead inside the PC. 1GE cards run about $50/ea for the quad port models / 2.5GE a bit more / 5GE ~$200 / 10GE max at 2 for copper and quad for SFP+ options

I have no desire to go down that route. I did something similar with pfSense and it was a fun project but I'm looking for a COTS setup with FW support. The two older models i found will probably work. Will need to research them and do my due dilligence. I was just looking to see what other options there were I might not have been aware of.

What's the problem with the switch?

Oh, sorry to bother you then... 🥱

I would just connect a switch to the extra 2.5 port of one of the routers with either an extra Lan port...a 2.5 Gbit switch would be best.

You are going to see less and less of a lot of ports in consumer routers as they are moving to 2.5gig ports and the cost will be too much.

Settled on TP-LINK AXE16000, has the 6 ports and its Wifi 6E that fits the bill for future proof. Wifi 7 still in infancy will be a while before i could ever take advantage.

Other option was Asus but they have less than 6 LAN ports for anyone in the same boat.

Unsure of control scheme of that unit, but if an account somewhere is required for use of the equipment, I'd instead opt for something needing an external switch.

Confirmed no account is needed unless you want the subscription features which I have no use for.

The TP-LINK AXE16000.. the specs look really nice. But it looks like it has 2 hardware Revs and each has a firmware release once a year from the support page. I have a great fear of no updates.. I hope it works well.

I hope the ports are running off a switch chip otherwise they are going to put a load on the CPU.