What's new

What causes sustained high CPU usage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I have been on 388.1 since 12/9/2022. I rebooted on 2/9/2023 when the RAM usage was 852MB which was 62 days uptime. Today all 4 cores were running at 50-100% CPU when I wasn't doing anything and cores 2-4 were mostly stuck at 100%. The CPU temp was 77C when it's normally about 68-70C. I had 2 Chrome tabs open and Outlook was open. Normally CPU runs <5% on all cores. I have a very simple system, 2 wired clients and 18 or so wireless clients, most of which are idle at any given time. I rebooted and things returned to normal and RAM usage was 536MB immediately after the reboot. This has happened once before about a year ago when I was running 386.4.

So is this just one of those things that's impossible to diagnose? Would the CPU load have dropped on its own eventually? I watched it for a couple minutes before deciding to reboot. I normally open the GUI about once a week so it was just by chance that I noticed the high CPU usage. Aside from these 2 events (that I'm aware of) the router runs flawlessly. I have been using Merlin almost immediately when I got it 2 years ago.

Could be almost anything. Next time it happens SSH into the router and run top. It will show you what is using the CPU.

I must say, I'd be curious to know what you find.
I just checked my router and the CPU cores are all <5%.