What's new

amtm What do I need to do to change USB Drives?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
I have amtm, Diversion, Skynet, and other scripts working well on my RT-AX88U 388.1

I currently use a 16GB USB drive for these scripts and I just purchased a 64GB drive to use.

How do I go about swapping these? Is it a matter of having to uninstall Diversion, Skynet etc, and setting up the new drive then reinstall everything?

I would suggest formatting the new drive, and then use rsync to replicate the data to the new drive with the exception of the swap file (i.e., exclude it with rsync)— create a new swap file afterwards.

I would suggest formatting the new drive, and then use rsync to replicate the data to the new drive with the exception of the swap file (i.e., exclude it with rsync)— create a new swap file afterwards.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I’ll get this done.

Just one question, I thought it was an application, what exactly is rsync?

Just one question, I thought it was an application, what exactly is rsync?
Unix utility to sync local and remote directories. You can install it as entware package.

Unix utility to sync local and remote directories. You can install it as entware package.

Is this the command for backing up one drive to another on the router using rsync?

Code:
rsync -a --exclude 'myswap.swp' /tmp/mnt/USB/ /tmp/mnt/backupUSB/

And do you literally type myswap.swp?

Edit: I ran the command with both disks plugged in. It appeared to work. Does this look right? MerlinUSB2 is the new 64GB drive.

Code:
admin@RT-AX88U-E390:/tmp/home/root# ls /mnt/
MerlinUSB2
admin@RT-AX88U-E390:/tmp/home/root# ls /mnt/MerlinUSB2
entware     lost+found  skynet

Also, when I tried to create a new swap file I receive this error:

Code:
No compatible device available to create
a swap file

And again, when I try to reinstall Diversion I receive this error message:

Code:
Error  No compatible device(s) found to install
Diversion on.

A permanently plugged in USB storage device
formatted with one of these file systems
is required: ext2, ext3, ext4

Obviously I’ve done something wrong.

Last edited:
I have amtm, Diversion, Skynet, and other scripts working well on my RT-AX88U 388.1

I currently use a 16GB USB drive for these scripts and I just purchased a 64GB drive to use.

How do I go about swapping these? Is it a matter of having to uninstall Diversion, Skynet etc, and setting up the new drive then reinstall everything?

I just bought a 64GB drive to use, but got a 8GB drive installed.

I have Amtm, Swap, FD, DC, Merlin AU, SKYnet installed.

Now I want to use this 64GB drive in my Asus router.

Should I uninstall all the scripts & format the 8GB drive?

Them install eveything from scratch to avoid error's?

What is the best way?

Imho BACKUPMON would be ideal for this. Have a read:

Imho BACKUPMON would be ideal for this. Have a read:
That's how I'd do it as well... but perhaps I'm a little biased. :p

What is the best way, I not familiar with this addon for now.

What is the best way, I not familiar with this addon for now.
It all depends... How's this...

1.) If you don't know much about scripts, commands or the underlying system -- format your new drive and factory reset - start all over.
2.) If you feel a little more daring, and kinda know what you're doing - use @visortgw's rsync method above
3.) If you feel comfortable setting up scripts, creating remote shares or know somewhat about backups - use BACKUPMON

It all depends... How's this...

1.) If you don't know much about scripts, commands or the underlying system -- format your new drive and factory reset - start all over.
2.) If you feel a little more daring, and kinda know what you're doing - use @visortgw's rsync method above
3.) If you feel comfortable setting up scripts, creating remote shares or know somewhat about backups - use BACKUPMON
I think I'll go for option 1.

I first uninstall the scripts...

Then I'll start over again.

I wanted to see how AI would respond to a question like this. I used my genailogs script with the chat function.
Here was the response from GeminiAI:

chat> How can I use rsync to make a duplicate of a USB drive?

**Prerequisites:**

* Two USB drives, one to be copied (source) and the other to be copied to (destination).
* A computer with both USB drives connected and rsync installed.

**Steps:**

**1. Check for rsync:**

* Open a terminal window or command prompt.
* Type `rsync --version` to verify that rsync is installed.

**2. Connect the USB drives:**

* Make sure both USB drives are connected to the computer.

**3. Identify the USB drive paths:**

* Use the `lsblk` command to list all block devices and identify the paths to the USB drives.
* For example, if the source USB drive is connected to `/dev/sdb` and the destination USB drive is connected to `/dev/sdc`, the paths would be `/dev/sdb` and `/dev/sdc` respectively.

**4. Run rsync command:**

* Type the following command in the terminal, replacing `/path/to/source` with the source USB drive path and `/path/to/destination` with the destination USB drive path:

```
rsync -av /path/to/source /path/to/destination
```

**Example:**

```
rsync -av /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
```

* **-a:** Preserves permissions, ownership, timestamps, and other attributes.
* **-v:** Provides verbose output during the transfer.

**5. Wait for completion:**

* rsync will begin copying files from the source drive to the destination drive. The time it takes will depend on the size of the drive and the speed of the connection.

**6. Verify the duplicate:**

* Once the transfer is complete, you can use the `diff` command to verify that the two USB drives are identical:

```
diff /path/to/source /path/to/destination
```

If the output is empty, it means the two USB drives are identical.

**Additional Notes:**

* You can use the `--progress` option to display a progress bar during the transfer.
* If the source drive has bad sectors, rsync will attempt to skip them and continue copying the rest of the files.
* If you want to exclude certain files or directories, use the `--exclude` option followed by a pattern. For example: `--exclude *.tmp`

chat>
Fairly simple response - but no bad. I like the idea of using diff after the rsync to check.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!